Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sputhe or true track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
ChopperPop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double Post Deleted

Last edited by ChopperPop; 10-27-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 AM
jp28
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Sputhe. Installed in about 2hours. Very straight forward installation if you're used to working on your bike.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperPop
True-Track is next on my list after I get a different exhaust. I took a 90 degree turn today at some speed and it just feels like my SB could be a bit more rigid in the corners. I know the 16" apes exaggerate the effect but hopefully the Stabilizer will negate it somewhat.

Let us know which you go with and how it works for you.
Yeah, no disrespect to all you guys who favor those huge ape hangers. Everybody has their own preferences. Those things DO adversely affect the handling of any bike. They put too much leverage on the forks and amplify the steering puts that make the bike seem wobbly.

In the same vein, these slammed suspensions and fat tires also adversely affect handling. A narrower tire will allow the bike to turn more easily and handle better in the curves.

Anyway, I realize many people here are not as much into handling as they are into their ideas of visual appeal. That's fine.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I have added a 3 over Springer, apes, 21 inch wheel, and lowered the rear suspension. I'm not sure there is anything left to further destroy the bikes handling characteristics. If you know of any, post then up. I'm always interested. That damn true track has fixed most of my issues.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 10-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have added a 3 over Springer, apes, 21 inch wheel, and lowered the rear suspension. I'm not sure there is anything left to further destroy the bikes handleing charecteristics. If you know of any, post then up. I'm always interested. That damn true track has fixed most of my issues.
put bags and a windshield on it lol

Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
put bags and a windshield on it lol

LOL, how's this. But after this I'm gonna need a Softail if I want any worse handling.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 10-28-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM
leafman60
Road Captain

Right on, bro !!! Love that tooling on those leather bags !

Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
leafman60
Road Captain

Ok boys, I installed my Sputhe stabilizer last week. Whew, that was a helluva job. I do a lot of mechanical work and I have a pretty well stocked shop but I am kinda meticulous about things being perfect. I dont know how long the Sputhe install took but I stretched it out over two days.

I would say that a person not accustomed to mechanical work may be better having someone else do this job. In theory, the process is not difficult but in practice a lot of things dont work out as easy as you may think. By the way, Alan's instructions are type-written out with no pictures and leave a lot to be desired. On the other hand, if you are not mechanical enough to look at the parts and figure out how they go, then you probably dont wanna be doing this install !

As a note, I found my front unit easier to install backwards or flip-flopped from what Sputhe said. Doing so, worked better on my 09 FXDC and cleared the wiring harness on the right side. After I did it, I called Alan to make sure there was no problem that I may have overlooked by doing that. He advised me that all was good. Direction of the front brackets does not matter.

Im glad I did the job. I still think the Sputhe design blends-in and looks more "factory oem" than other options. I took the bike out today and noticed a difference when heeled over in the curves. It is very solid in it's line.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sputhe or True Track???

Hey Leafman,
Sounds like you are shop and mechanical wise fellow. I just can't image you having the difficulties you refer to. I'm just an old do it your-selfer who enjoys doing my own work on my Scoot. I was an early poster in this thread as I was torn with which Stabilizer to go with. I had folks tell me the install up front would be easier with the Sputhe Stabilizer since I already had a HD MoCo Oil Cooler right were the install takes place.

Well, I chose the Sputhe, installed front and rear myself. I will say bless her heart my wife supplied a second set of hands for a few minutes getting things lined up on the Rear Unit. Never the less even without a Lift for my Scooter work all I had to do was be a bit of an under the Chassis contortionist and it all went really very smoothly.

I'm sure the Folks that chose True Track are happy with there Stabilizers too, but all I can say is I am very happy with the quality and the results of the Sputhe Stabilizers. Like most guys say...when it comes to the curves and the ride in general its much like riding a rail....I really noticed it at first.....2000 miles round trip to Sturgis 2011 it was sweet!!!
A true believer in the Sputhe Stabilizer and a advocate of doing it yourself if you like working on your ride like I do.

GARY

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Well, I guess I just wasn't holding my mouth right while I worked. I was also doing it alone. That is a cute little trick when you are trying to thread-in the rear stabilizer bracket bolts from the belt side of the bike while holding the bracket up on the exhaust side. Also, pay attention to routing of the wiring on the rear stabilizer. If not correct, it can get scissored by the swing arm when it drops down. By the way, I also also installed 1 inch taller shocks to jack the bike up and that reduced my wiring clearance. Yes, having a helper would make the entire process much easier.

Quick Reply: sputhe or true track?