Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
mcr5593
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading bike in Truck Bed

Just purchased the Big Boy II loading ramps from discountramps.com
I got the 10' length. They work really well and I highly recommend them. Plenty of clearance. In addition, I purchased a pair of tailgate support straps, and a loading bracket that the ramps fit into to prevent them from kicking out.

To secure the bike, I built a wooden platform that is "keyed" around my rear wheel hubs so that it can't slide out or side to side. On top of the ramp, I have a Condor chock for my front wheel. The wood platform extends out over the tailgate but floats about 1" above it. When the rear wheel of the bike is on the plank, no weight is on the rear tailgate..it continues to float.

The tailgate support straps are kind of gimmicky. I don't know if they actually help relieve stress on the cables or not. However, I will say that although everyone stresses the cable strength..CHECK your tailgate brackets. Mine were rusted and crumbling, I replaced them for $20 at autozone.

Plywood used was 3/4 inch and the plank is 2" x 12"

The whole setup is somewhat heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for those with a bad back.

Now the question is what to do with those big ramps while travelling. I'm thinking of buying a hitch receiver platform that will store the ramps below the tailgate. Probably route a cable through them to lock them to the platform.

Attached Thumbnails ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??-img_0022.jpg   ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??-img_0023.jpg   ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??-img_0024.jpg   ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??-img_0025.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sibur
First of all, Do you have a full size bed? I have a F150 with a short bed. I have carried my bike in the bed but the back wheel is on the tail gate and it makes me a little nervous, the cables that hold the tail gate are pretty thin. I have used short ramps but I back up to a little hill to make loading easier.
Mines a short bed and it fits inside the bed. Barely, but it is inside. I used a ramp at the local golf course it get in.

Attached Thumbnails ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??-harley-621.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst case scenario you find a ditch, lord knows there has to be a ditch somewhere around use a 6 ft ramp, and you are gold. I have an old 6ft trifold snowmobile ramp nice and wide, but being so short you have to be on some sort of hill.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was watching vids of the LoadsAll ramp. It is self contained. I don't have one nor have I ever used one but having the ramp slide into the base looks pretty nifty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivVEyZnNoI

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vouche for loadall sys! i own one

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I was watching vids of the LoadsAll ramp. It is self contained. I don't have one nor have I ever used one but having the ramp slide into the base looks pretty nifty.

]
i can vouche for the loadall system. i own one an love it...it also 'floats over the tailgate and you don't have any weight on the tailgate straps.

Last edited by getanxd; 03-07-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by mcr5593
Just purchased the Big Boy II loading ramps from discountramps.com
I got the 10' length. They work really well and I highly recommend them. Plenty of clearance. In addition, I purchased a pair of tailgate support straps, and a loading bracket that the ramps fit into to prevent them from kicking out.

To secure the bike, I built a wooden platform that is "keyed" around my rear wheel hubs so that it can't slide out or side to side. On top of the ramp, I have a Condor chock for my front wheel. The wood platform extends out over the tailgate but floats about 1" above it. When the rear wheel of the bike is on the plank, no weight is on the rear tailgate..it continues to float.

The tailgate support straps are kind of gimmicky. I don't know if they actually help relieve stress on the cables or not. However, I will say that although everyone stresses the cable strength..CHECK your tailgate brackets. Mine were rusted and crumbling, I replaced them for $20 at autozone.

Plywood used was 3/4 inch and the plank is 2" x 12"

The whole setup is somewhat heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for those with a bad back.

Now the question is what to do with those big ramps while travelling. I'm thinking of buying a hitch receiver platform that will store the ramps below the tailgate. Probably route a cable through them to lock them to the platform.
I looked at that site and really like the Al ramps that break-down into 3 sections. I have a short-bed w/across the bed storage box tho. My 8' LR won't fit. No ramps for me....

Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
mcr5593
Novice

Originally Posted by getanxd
i can vouche for the loadall system. i own one an love it...it also 'floats over the tailgate and you don't have any weight on the tailgate straps.
That loadall system is pretty slick. But I wanted something that I could put in and take out of on my own. I'm not sure how heavy that platform is. The thing I like about that system is it works for ATVs also.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that loadall system looks great but for $2,000 why not get a trailer? then you can use the trailer for multiple purposes an still have your bed space free

Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by maryland blackout
that loadall system looks great but for $2,000 why not get a trailer? then you can use the trailer for multiple purposes an still have your bed space free
I agree (for my situation) Rented a MC-specific trailer from U-haul. If needed, I'd buy one exactly like it

Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get the ones that arc (rounded). That being said, I have a 6" lift kit on my truck so I have a trailer.

Quick Reply: ?? Ramps for loading into a truck bed??