Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive shock ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive shock ?

For those that installed progressive shocks on your Dyna's is it a better ride(softer)or a better handling ride or both.I have a couple of back issues and sometimes the roads here in South Jersey aren't the best.Just wondering how much difference between progressive and stock.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I install them on my fxdc I have the 412 heavy dut ones. wife and I rode last sunday, click them up to 3rd notch seem nice. I set them on 2nd notch seem alittle bumpy, going to lower to 1st notch when solo. I guess it depends on what you weigh or what you carry

Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
thebeginning
Advanced

Originally Posted by dreamer65
I install them on my fxdc I have the 412 heavy dut ones. wife and I rode last sunday, click them up to 3rd notch seem nice. I set them on 2nd notch seem alittle bumpy, going to lower to 1st notch when solo. I guess it depends on what you weigh or what you carry

^Yep. Called them yesterday to get their recommendation on lowering shocks (mine are 12.5" stock, they recommended 11.5" at lowest). The guy noted that you should not buy heavy duty stocks unless you are over 220 and/or your passenger is typically over 'average' weight (I'm assuming for a female). So if your combined weight is near or over 370, Heavy Duty would be a good choice. Otherwise, go with the standard shocks. From what I've seen and read, if you get the same length shocks from them you'll actually have a bit better absorption and presumably a smoother ride, without any handling loss. If you're looking to lower them, you'll lose a little more softness for the 'look' and feel of lowered shocks.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
"For those that installed progressive shocks on your Dyna's is it a better ride(softer)or a better handling ride or both?"
I ran Prog 412s on my old FXR for the longest time because of better handling and control, so when I got my F-Bob last year the first thing I did was put on a set of std duty 412s - I go 175 lbs and ride solo. Better control, as expected, but I found the ride much too firm, even at the lowest preload setting. After 2 months I shelved the 412s and put the stockers back on, and my body thanks me for that. Maybe a different series Prog shock is what I need, don't know. Your results may differ, of course....
~

Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

ok i lowered my shocks setting (412HD)to the lowest setting bike rode real nice no jarring bumps or bottoming forks need some work lol. I weigh 205 so the HD's seem fine for me with wife on back i move the setting up.
when in daytona this past spring i was told to go with the 412HD's
so far so good.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:37 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

Do you think that air shocks maybe better?I'm trying to improve the ride with out giving up to much handling if possible.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Air or spring, low shocks give a bad ride...low enough and you can call it a rigid.

I put works shocks on my 08 WG and even then I went with 1/2" longer. Pick a spring rate where you and the bike only use 1/3 of the travel of the rear shock while sitting still.

Touring bike airshocks sit farther back on the swingarm than a dyna. They don't have the spring rate you need. The new WGs use even shorter shocks than the old WGs.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
Do you think that air shocks maybe better?I'm trying to improve the ride with out giving up to much handling if possible.
get Ohlins...best for ride and handling. 1000x better than any progressive product. Works makes a decent shock and Ricor makes a very good shock too. Ricor and Ohlins provide excellent lateral stability, really improves handling. The ride on both are sublime, but ultimately Ohlins ride a little better. Stick with a 12" ride height. Lower means stiffer, less travel, less comfort.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
neocontra
Banned

I put a set of 412's on the rear and standard progressive springs in the front end. The bike does not feel stiffer just more planted and seems to float a little better over bumps whereas before with the oem shocks I'd feel them more.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor

1000 times better huh? That's a lot.

Originally Posted by rounder
get Ohlins...best for ride and handling. 1000x better than any progressive product. Works makes a decent shock and Ricor makes a very good shock too. Ricor and Ohlins provide excellent lateral stability, really improves handling. The ride on both are sublime, but ultimately Ohlins ride a little better. Stick with a 12" ride height. Lower means stiffer, less travel, less comfort.

Quick Reply: Progressive shock ?