Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commander fuel start up setting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander fuel start up setting

Since putting the power commander on the bike, it's been having a harder than normal time at starting up. If the engine's cold, it takes 6-8 seconds for it to turn over. If warm, it takes 4 seconds or so before she gets going....

There is a setting where you an add more start up fuel. I called Dynojet and they basically told me to put whatever i felt like in there and do a trial and error.... I'd rather not do a trial and error with my Harley.

Has anyone here encountered this issue I'm experiencing? If so, and you've used this feature, what percentage of fuel did you add and how many seconds? Any drawbacks?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know if you have a built motor or not, but here's what Power Commander says about the feature you're using:

The second new feature is "Start Fuel". This allows you to add additional fuel during startup. On heavily modified and/or large displacement engines (i.e. 124 Cubic Inch) extra fuel is sometimes required to ease starting. This is a software adjustable setting that makes it possible to increase the amount of fuel injected into the engine during cranking without making the idle overly rich once the engine starts.
Before you mess with those settings, I suggest you try the following.

Turn on ignition
Hit run
Hit start immediately.

Do not wait for the engine light to turn off and the fuel pump to finish priming.

Last edited by trip20; 06-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 PM
neocontra
Banned

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I don't know if you have a built motor or not, but here's what Power Commander says about the feature you're using:

Turn on ignition
Hit run
Hit start immediately.

Do not wait for the engine light to turn off and the fuel pump to finish priming.

Nope just a stock engine (stage 1 intake). Funny I saw this advice posted as well...why is this? I was always under the impression that you should wait for the fuel pump to finish...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was a common problem among forum members a couple of years ago. Contact Power Commander for what the resolution was. Or do a search on the forum.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
neocontra
Banned

Originally Posted by dlstanf2
This was a common problem among forum members a couple of years ago. Contact Power Commander for what the resolution was. Or do a search on the forum.
I did contact power commander and they were no help. I did do a search but found no specific info on what values to use in the settings.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neocontra
Nope just a stock engine (stage 1 intake). Funny I saw this advice posted as well...why is this? I was always under the impression that you should wait for the fuel pump to finish...
With a stock engine, you should leave this setting alone.

Typically, you should wait for the fuel pump to finish and the engine light to turn off. That changes when you have a PC.

From what I've read, the PC is only powered up while the engine light is *ON* and fuel pump is still priming. Thus, if you wait for the light to go off and pump to stop priming, you lose power momentarily to the PC, which causes the hard start.

I had this same issue. So I began to follow the advice, and my bike starts with ease every time.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Turn on ignition
Hit run
Hit start immediately.

This is the answer.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With a stock engine, you should leave this setting alone.

Typically, you should wait for the fuel pump to finish and the engine light to turn off. That changes when you have a PC.

From what I've read, the PC is only powered up while the engine light is *ON* and fuel pump is still priming. Thus, if you wait for the light to go off and pump to stop priming, you lose power momentarily to the PC, which causes the hard start.

I had this same issue. So I began to follow the advice, and my bike starts with ease every time.
Thanks for the tip, I've never read that one before. Just went to the garage and tried it, it fired right up. Sometimes it fired right up, sometimes not. Maybe I was just waiting too long to hit the start button.

Good info!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Instead of calling powercommander use their online support. Plug your bike into you computer/laptop and then under support section there is a remote tech login help. A tech will log on and tell him your issues and he'll adjust the setting for you. Mine starts rough cold, but starts fine warm whether I start while it's priming or if I wait. My issues is only cold. I haven't logged on to fix the cold starts yet, but they helped someone that I told to do this and it worked for him.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said.....I am the one he told about the tech from power commander. Bike has been running good ever since they went in a made some adjustments to the settings for the map i am running.

Quick Reply: Power commander fuel start up setting