Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had my first high (80 mph) high speed wobble today

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Exclamation Just had my first high (80 mph) high speed wobble today

I just experienced my first high speed wobble today . It first occurred on the narrowest part of the hwy. Then here and there down the road. The roads here in Montana are not always the best . they repave them almost every year but the semi trucks going through always tear the road back up. Did not seem to rough but wondering if there were some rain grooves I did not see.

Just curious what might be causing this. The bike only has 1575 miles on it and up until now its been rock solid in the turns. I plan to adjust the rear shocks. Might have to go with heavier fork oil. I did notice the handling on the front end seems to be getting a little looser as the bike breaks in.

I have read all the posts on various suspension parts that wear out; and adjustments that may cause high speed wobble.

But what about when they are all new. I passed the 1 k service with flying colors and on the way home the bike handled the mountain passes like a dream.

Just thought it very weird that just all of a sudden after the bike handling so well that it started having issues. Mentioned it to my mechanic friend and he said " it shouldnt be doing that " .. Suggestions?

BTW the dealer is 525 miles away round trip so heading that way for a check up may not be so simple if its a simple fix. thank you in advance for your time and opinions.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I did my own 1K service and when I checked the fall away for the
(steering head bearing) on the front it was very loose. That could cause it.
You might want to upgrade your front springs or just drop in some Ricor intiminators.
One of the first things I did was upgrade the suspension, at 500 miles I knew that the stock setup was not going to make it with me.

Last edited by stilup; 06-28-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What are you riding?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change to the SE fork oil, check the tension on the front trees, search (fall away) i think you find that its a bit loose.. Also check tire pressure...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't hurt to pop your front wheel off and take it in to get rebalanced also.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always set my fall away on the tight side and I run ATF in all of my glide front ends. I hate spongy suspension. One other thing that helps keep the bike stable in high speed turns is to keep an old dirt bike riding tip in mind, push your weight on the outside foot peg, it helps plant the bike and keeps the wobbles down. This is very critical on choppers and rigids, on a Dyna it's not nearly as critical but a good practice to get in the habit of using.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for all the replies . I am riding a 2011 dyna streetbob. I just adjusted the rear shocks down some and that seemed to help a little. I think I will indeed upgrade the suspension in the front end and when I can afford it better rear shocks. Tire pressure is at 39 pounds front and rear. If all that doesn't help ill change fork oil and get the front tire rebalanced . I really appreciate all the help. The fall away adjustment does seem to get loose really easily so ill tighten that up just a touch and see if it gets worse. I remember from the last time I got a dyna that I had to tighten up the fall away nut about once a month for it to stay tight and " in " spec.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Norrl
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. 39 lbs pressure in the fron tire is way high if your bike is like my 2010 FXDC. Front tire pressure for mine is rated at 30 lbs.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Ill check it out . for some reason I thought the tires needed to be run at 40 PSI each. ill go look in the owners manual like I should have done in the first place. Guess I shouldnt assume etc. thanks a lot for the input.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 AM
johnzlee
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the steering head bearing adjusted.

Quick Reply: Just had my first high (80 mph) high speed wobble today