Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throw shocks away,Hard Tail Struts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run bikes with rigid struts. They ride rough. The thing with a rigid framed bike is the frame flexes and takes some of the harshness out of it. A swingarm bike with rigid struts doesn't flex and beats the hell out of ya. The reason that I ran them is because I like my bikes LOW and with any amount of swingarm movement I'd scrape the tire.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Speed Kills
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks jank as Hell, no matter how you do it IMO. Swingarm-rigid bikes just never look quite right.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading an article about hard tail builds. The engineer in the article said rear suspension on a mc is actually there to keep your rear wheel in contact with the road. Hard tails (according to him) will lift off the road in certain situations. So the suspension is designed for safety, not for your (our) comfort. I do like the looks of the hard tail. but around here they can only be registered as show bikes or antiques, not daily riders.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the rigid look but not on a dyna. Get a CFL by WCC if you want a rigid chop. But hey it's up to you and those struts are cheap on eBay.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Basic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a rigid 4-up WCC CFL hardtail springer and a '67 Triumph frisco hardtail springer. Both were fun bikes that I put plenty of miles on and I didn't mind the hardtail because I knew what I was getting into. However, putting struts on a Dyna in place of the shocks looks worse than having a nice set of shocks in my opinion. I say keep it for it's intended purpose and buy a clean looking rigid barhopper and have the best of both worlds. They are cheap these days.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I prefer the looks of shocks over rigid frames any day of the week. Add to that the better ride and I say you are better off with shocks.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

All below are suggested removal mods I have seen on this forum at one time or another. Follow all this advice and you've got one safe and comfortable ride!! lol

remove shocks replace with rigid struts
remove horn
remove fenders
remove mirrors
remove turn signals
remove tank badges
remove reflectors
remove upper and lower belt guards
remove battery cover

Last edited by Bobber S; 07-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobber S
All below are suggested removal mods I have seen on this forum at one time or another. Follow all this advice and you've got one safe and comfortable ride!! lol

remove shocks replace with rigid struts
remove horn
remove fenders
remove mirrors
remove turn signals
remove tank badges
remove reflectors
remove upper and lower belt guards
remove battery cover

You left out remove front brake.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
jackloganbill
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldncrzy
I was reading an article about hard tail builds. The engineer in the article said rear suspension on a mc is actually there to keep your rear wheel in contact with the road. Hard tails (according to him) will lift off the road in certain situations. So the suspension is designed for safety, not for your (our) comfort. I do like the looks of the hard tail. but around here they can only be registered as show bikes or antiques, not daily riders.
That explains a lot, like why my EGC rear shocks are junk.

JackL

Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
pontiac80
Cruiser

I have those on my bike. Got on ebay 3 years ago. never had any problems with them. I never liked rear springs on any bike.

Quick Reply: Throw shocks away,Hard Tail Struts!