Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throw shocks away,Hard Tail Struts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
that_guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these guys commenting on the harsh ride. Have you guys rode on a rigid bike? I have 12K on my struts and only once did I get caught off-guard by a bump that threw me off the seat. Ask people that do ride rigids and many will say that the ride is not nearly as bad as people think. I have done 500 mile trips on a few occasions and never thought "damn I want my shocks back" if he is considering rigid struts he obviously isn't looking for a couch on wheels.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
I love these guys commenting on the harsh ride. Have you guys rode on a rigid bike? I have 12K on my struts and only once did I get caught off-guard by a bump that threw me off the seat. Ask people that do ride rigids and many will say that the ride is not nearly as bad as people think. I have done 500 mile trips on a few occasions and never thought "damn I want my shocks back" if he is considering rigid struts he obviously isn't looking for a couch on wheels.
LOL, you don't have to hit yourself in the face with a hammer to know it hurts any more than you need to ride a hard tail to know the ride sux. Just for the record, my first Harley was a rigid Sporty chop, so yeah, hardtails suck. They look awesome, but I'll never own another one.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have ridden enough hard tails to appreciate shocks, thank you very much.

I certainly get the impression based on how the OP asked the question, he has no experience riding a hard tail, not a bad place to be and stay in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see the point of removing your shocks and putting solid struts on.

I did see a cool V-rod this past weekend with some airshocks that when he parked it he slammed the thing to the ground and did not have to use his side stand.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
ed gien
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Thanks for that comment above, just seems like everyone has to go by that cookie cut look with no origanility! One said I should just go buy a rigid, but why? The really good part about me replacing the shocks is that if I dont like it I can always trade it back to shocks and not try to find someone to buy the rigid who isnt afraid of hitting a bumb on the road?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
MAGNYS
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you asked for opinnions and you got them.
if your gunna do it anyway why ask?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:20 PM
jupiter2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode a rigid Triumph for years and still have a 1946 HD (with a stock sprung seat post).
This pictured bike isn't a rigid, it is a swingarm frame with struts where the shocks should be.

It makes no sense to me. I can't really recommend riding rigid, because to me it hurts.
Fact is though, doing this is just faking something.
Just my opinion - do what you want.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ed gien
Thanks for that comment above, just seems like everyone has to go by that cookie cut look with no origanility! One said I should just go buy a rigid, but why? The really good part about me replacing the shocks is that if I dont like it I can always trade it back to shocks and not try to find someone to buy the rigid who isnt afraid of hitting a bumb on the road?
Read my comment below. I didn't say "buy", I said "build". Big difference. That could mean adapting a rigid tail section to your existing tail section.

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair;8502776[U
]Ed, if you want a rigid...build a rigid. [/U]Don't just slap a couple of rods in a place and call it a day. If you don't have the proper know-how (...I don't either), then seek out a pro that does.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Just to follow up, I love the look of rigids, but I wouldnt take the shocks off my Dyna and put on struts. The angles are all wrong so why mess with it

Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have ever ridden a hard tail or a bike with struts, then you would appreciate what a good set of shocks are all about. If they aren't much, I'd suggest you invest in a set. Then you'll understand.

Quick Reply: Throw shocks away,Hard Tail Struts!