Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my del rey installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks good, I don't like shields either I have tried 2 HD shields and never could get them adj. right.I would like to try this one or the fly screen whenever $$$ come around.Keep us posted on how it turns out after a few trips

Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaycee
That looks good, I don't like shields either I have tried 2 HD shields and never could get them adj. right.I would like to try this one or the fly screen whenever $$$ come around.Keep us posted on how it turns out after a few trips
My suggestion is to take your taller, (mine's 18") windshield, if you still have one, and lower it tight against the headlight. Then loosen the four mounting screws, and tilt the windshield forward in the upper mount, if it's slotted like mine. I was able to move it 1/2" to 5/8" forward in the top slot, that amounted to a few inches at the top of the shield. That seems counterintuitive, but it seems to work.

I played around a lot with my windshield, moved it up and down, slanted it back, but it just changed the wind dynamics from one problem to another. Either my mustache was flying up my nose, my head was being buffeted around to the point of having double vision or a few other variations of riding discomfort. Once I lowered and tilted the windshield forward it seemed to cure it all.

That headlight to shield gap was a big factor, but the forward tilt was the final solution.

For the shorty windshields, my solution may not work, but that headlight to shield gap reduction should still be of benefit.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
My suggestion is to take your taller, (mine's 18") windshield, if you still have one, and lower it tight against the headlight. Then loosen the four mounting screws, and tilt the windshield forward in the upper mount, if it's slotted like mine. I was able to move it 1/2" to 5/8" forward in the top slot, that amounted to a few inches at the top of the shield. That seems counterintuitive, but it seems to work.

I played around a lot with my windshield, moved it up and down, slanted it back, but it just changed the wind dynamics from one problem to another. Either my mustache was flying up my nose, my head was being buffeted around to the point of having double vision or a few other variations of riding discomfort. Once I lowered and tilted the windshield forward it seemed to cure it all.

That headlight to shield gap was a big factor, but the forward tilt was the final solution.

For the shorty windshields, my solution may not work, but that headlight to shield gap reduction should still be of benefit.
I picked up my WIndvest in Daytona and the owner was there installing them, which he did on my bike. This is what he did also.... tilted forward... or forward from what I would have thought, since I would have thought to do a tilted back in the hopes of some form of aerodynamics..

H said he's done them ever which way and that this is what works best... Essentially the windshield is in line with my forks. I took off and rode back to texas 1500 miles and after several month here have never felt a desire to play around with it... even though I initially thought I'd be doing it first chance.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motolocopat
I picked up my WIndvest in Daytona and the owner was there installing them, which he did on my bike. This is what he did also.... tilted forward... or forward from what I would have thought, since I would have thought to do a tilted back in the hopes of some form of aerodynamics..

H said he's done them ever which way and that this is what works best... Essentially the windshield is in line with my forks. I took off and rode back to texas 1500 miles and after several month here have never felt a desire to play around with it... even though I initially thought I'd be doing it first chance.
I just checked and my windshield is even tilted a bit forward of the fork angle. My first inclination was to tilt it back, too, but that actually made it worse.

Thanks for the confirmation. I know that the forward tilt certainly fixed my issues.