Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy Birthday Bob! (Springer Bob)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Happy Birthday Bob!

Awesome, fill us in on the details. I had a Springer Softail once and really liked it.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior

damn! been toying with this idea since i first saw the bob.....looks awesome
definately fill us in on all the details!!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please ignore that glossy black fender. The powder coated legs match the frame pretty well, but that fender is a DEEP glossy black and is desperately in need of black denim.

I always loved springers but prefer Dynas. When I bought this bike last year, I *claimed* it was the plan to eventually put a springer on this bike. To be honest though, I didn't think I'd have the guts to do it. All I heard over and over again was that it "won't work" or "you can't do that". This was from dealer service guys and a couple of indies as well. But I could never get an answer for WHY it won't work and after researching it, I finally decided I couldn't find a reason it shouldn't work so I gave it a shot.

This is a factory springer off of a 1996 Bad Boy. It is NOT a simple plug and play type of deal. I was able to make all of the modifications to the springer itself though so my frame is unmodified.

I got it on Monday afternoon and after work I put about 4 hours into it and actually had it on the bike. It wasn't functional, but it *felt* like I was so close. Then I got a cold and for two days made no progress at all. Between digging up all kinds of oddball fasteners and making some significant modifications to the springer (mostly near the bottom of the stem, big-time interference issues) I finally got it all done at about 3am on Friday night. And then I proceeded to wash it. If any of my neighbors saw me, they'll be sending the white-coats in after me ;-)

I am still sick and had somewhere to be this morning at about 7 so I got less than 3 hours of sleep. Even though I was exhausted I couldn't help it and rode about 110 miles today. I couldn't be happier with the ride. It is TOTALLY different but I like it. The biggest ride changes I can think of are:

1. higher center of gravity (it's HEAVY and much of the weight is concentrated around the neck) so low speed handling is different and I really need to remind myself so I don't dump it.

2. The skinnier tire makes it lean differently. Feels like a smaller lean angle initiates movement which make sense actually.

3. Trail is definitely slightly shortened, but I don't think it is excessively reduced.

4. You don't pitch forward when you hit the brakes . . . AWESOME. The susp. travel in telescopics is obviously linear but on the springer it is rotational. Since the disk brake is also rotational, it is set up to conteract that tendency to sag when getting on the brakes. It's a very cool benefit.

#2 and #3 seem to make this thing a little more "responsive" but not twitchy or nervous. I cruised at 65 for at least a total of 30 miles and had no evidence of wobbles or anything else weird. We had 20+ MPH winds today so it wasn't an ideal day to test something new like this, but it performed fine. An interstate run is in order pretty soon though to prove that higher speeds are safe. The springer has a negative rake built in at least in terms of the fork tube angle (they are noticably steeper), BUT the rockers put the wheel back forward in nearly the same location as my axle originally was. The neck angle is obviously unchanged so in reality, there isn't negative rake because the steering axis is unchanged.

This thing feels awesome and it just suits my preferences. It feels more solid and I feel somewhat like I am riding on that front wheel. I don't know how else to describe it. I never felt that there was a disconnection between my hands and the front tire before, but after riding this thing, I feel way more connected. I'm not saying this springer outhandles the stock telescopics because I'm sure it doesn't come close. But it outperformed my expectations and I do prefer this feel. I was worried the ride or the vibrations would be too harsh, but I really was surprised at how well this suspension actually works. And the vibration *might* have been worse, but not in a big way.

I'll be happy to do my best answering any specific questions. I'm still under the w

Old 11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man! I really really like it. I'm sure you'll get a lot of compliments here. There have been a lot of folks talking about this..now it's been done. It looks fantastic. Feel better man!

Todd

Old 11-05-2006, 01:25 AM
BLKBOB
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that is sweet!!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 AM
PsTaN
Road Master

Springer Bob ------> It Lives!!

PsTaN

Old 11-05-2006, 02:37 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

Hey, that is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the BadBoy front end, and I think you have created the perfect BadBoy (Coil springs front AND rear).

Great job, and congrats. How about going for BOTM in January??

DougJ

Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 AM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Got my vote for BOTM!

Looks absolutly great. Many have talked and pondered the idea...you did it!

Did you order the Badboy springer from the stealer? If not, where did you find that beauty?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

Absolutely beautiful bike...congrats! Talk about old school!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:02 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Springer Bob ROCKS. I want one.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Happy Birthday Bob! (Springer Bob)