Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno run and tune question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyno run and tune question

I had my bike dyno'd and tuned 2 weeks ago. Bike seems to run fine and runs cool. I first had a TTS Mastertune installed with a basic tune. Was ok but ran hot in my opinion. SO i figured i would have it tuned. Tech spent 2 hrs and came up with 79.33hp and 88.95 torque. Bike runs good but i do still get decel poping. Also if i go through the gears fast i sometimes get a loud pop from the exhaust. Today i was checking some things and i was reving it. At times i get a blue flame out of the exhaust and that loud pop. So what do you guys think. I bought the TTS due to my dealers service manager suggested it over any other tuner. He said the guy that makes the TTS used to make the Screaming Eagle tuner and he went out on his own.

When he installed it and did a basic tune he set the AFR to 14.3. I went back the next day because it was running hot. I mean real hot as well as the parade mode was on every time i stopped for 10 seconds. As well as the decel poping was bad. He then changed it to 13.7 and this was better but still didnt think it was right. So that is why i got it dyno tuned.

Attached Thumbnails Dyno run and tune question-dyno-numbers-001.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 06-24-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of variables here, so you're probably not going to get a great answer on here.

Are your Big Shots running a baffle? Which one? When you say "running through the gears," what does that mean to you? Are you shifting at redline or just nailing the throttle hard and still shifting between 3 and 4k RPM?

Popping during acceleration would tend to indicate unspent gases are flowing into the exhaust. Conversely, if you're popping during decel that is an indicator of a lean condition most of the time. I wouldn't worry too much about the flame while revving at a standstill. That's not real world conditions since there's no load on the motor. You're basically taking a potentially rich running engine and then putting it in a condition to run even richer, so you get flames out of your exhaust.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm no dyno or tuning expert.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like a bad tune. I had my bike tuned at JD's cycle in bethleham pa. Took about 6hrs. Bike runs super smooth and cool. Dave is one of the best tuners in the country. I doubt anyone could do a complete tune in 2hrs.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two hours seems kind of fast to me too, but if he was just tweaking a canned map it's possible.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Sweetglide08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda seems like low numbers to me as well (just me .02) my buddy has an 03 ultra stock 88 except for air cleaner home made 2-1 w/ thunderheader slip on and pc3 and it made a lil over 80 horse.... best of luck

Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
There are a lot of variables here, so you're probably not going to get a great answer on here.

Are your Big Shots running a baffle? Which one? When you say "running through the gears," what does that mean to you? Are you shifting at redline or just nailing the throttle hard and still shifting between 3 and 4k RPM?

Popping during acceleration would tend to indicate unspent gases are flowing into the exhaust. Conversely, if you're popping during decel that is an indicator of a lean condition most of the time. I wouldn't worry too much about the flame while revving at a standstill. That's not real world conditions since there's no load on the motor. You're basically taking a potentially rich running engine and then putting it in a condition to run even richer, so you get flames out of your exhaust.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm no dyno or tuning expert.
Phrogman, My big shots have the stock baffles. Running through the gears means shifting at high rpm, this is where i get that loud pop out of the exhaust.

Torch, I will have to look into the place in bethlehem. Most important thing here is that its tuned good. But also dont want to spend 600 on a tune. Could you give me more info on the place you mention.

Jeff, i have no idea how long it should take. My tech sold me on the tts and said he is most proficient with it. He only recommends the tts.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did right by using whatever fuel management system your tuner reccomends. People can argue all day long about which system is best, but the best system for you is whichever one your tuner is best at tuning with.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Heres the link to his website. Dave is a great guy to work with.http://www.jdscycleworks.com/