Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF Shock Length Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FXDF Shock Length Advice Please

Just changed my 07'FXD for a FatBob,i had Hagon rear shocks on the FXD which where about 1/2" longer than the standard FXD shocks,i think the standard FXDF shocks are 12",which means the Hagons will be 1" longer,I want to fit the Hagons but i'm a bit concerened about upsetting the handling balance,can anyone offer advice please.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think you'll have any issues. I put 13" Ricors on my FatBob a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues with the handling. I'm still playing with the spring preloads, but I'm liking the improved cornering abilities. I also have the Ricor Intimidators installed in the front which helps as the stock Fat Bob front end was too soft IMO. I think you'll like it.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I put 13 inch 440's on mine when I tour with the wife. No issues at all.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im looking at the same setup for my FaTBob and was looking at the 12.5-13" shocks. I would not even consider the stock 12" as I want to get it handling as well as possible and if you raise the rear then the geometry of the motrocycle starts changing to allow quicker handling.Firming up the front end and possibly dropping it a fraction of an inch will do the same.

I'm anxious to hear EricInNCa experience after riding his for a bit........ It should be ready for a big motor and some brake work now (-:

Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My '07 FXD came with 12.5" shocks that I replaced with 13.5" Ricors and Ricor Intiminators in front. The handling and ride improved greatly, not to mention a bit more cornering clearance.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fender Height

Thanks for the replies,sounds like the 13" Shocks should work ok.
EricinCa,i'm surprised how high the fender looks in your pic,is it the Fender style that makes it look so high,or does the photo exaggerate the gap.
Thanks.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Thanks for the replies,sounds like the 13" Shocks should work ok.
EricinCa,i'm surprised how high the fender looks in your pic,is it the Fender style that makes it look so high,or does the photo exaggerate the gap.
Thanks.
I think it's a little of both. I went with the longer shock and the sport tune setup. I talked with Brian at Ricor and he suggested it so I could soften the first part of the stroke a bit by adjusting the spring preload and still have all the benefits of the longer shock (ie: better ground hugging and rough rode compliance). So far it's good. Haven't got the final settings done as I'm always fiddling. :-)

Additionally, I have a different tail-light and plate setup which tucks up in the fender quite a bit. It makes it look like a lot of clearance. I have a spare rear fender that I am going to mod to sit lower and change the look a bit. I wanted the additional ground clearance so it's all part of my master plan...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 13" Raise

You can definitly tell that the rear is jacked up a bit with the 13"

I beleive that the Fatbob has a shorter stock rear wheel travel than the other Dyna's at just barely over 2" ,ridiculously little. I think I have seen where the stocker is 12" and the other Dyna's have 12.5" Maybe others can confirm this.

Just have to weigh the benefits of the longer travel, better control & handling with the appearance. I personally like the Fatbob's rear fender but the bobbed fender that some are putting on them might go better with a Fatbob that has 13" shocks on it since it doesn't have the flip up at the rear... seems like it would be less noticeable

Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM
rdmption
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, the jacked up rear end with the taller shocks looks awful. I know it may be a conflict of comfort vs. aesthetics, but sometimes it's worth to make the necessary sacrifices to have a sexy looking scoot. My 2 cents.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdmption
personally, the jacked up rear end with the taller shocks looks awful. I know it may be a conflict of comfort vs. aesthetics, but sometimes it's worth to make the necessary sacrifices to have a sexy looking scoot. My 2 cents.
I understand about the look with it raised up. My overall plan is to mod a spare fender I have to compensate the look for the increased height. In the end, you won't notice the longer shock because the fender is gonna be mounted lower on the struts AND shortened. I wanted to get the shocks on before I went forward with this mod. Stay tuned as I'll post pics when I get this next mod completed.

Quick Reply: FXDF Shock Length Advice Please