Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some PCIII advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
01ragtop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some PCIII advice

The previous owner installed the PCIII on my 2006 Wide Glide as well as the V&H Big radius 2 into 2, and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner. I noticed a lot of decel pop, and it even pops on the 1-2 shift on occasion. I downloaded the map from the bike and compared it to the canned tune power commander has on their website. They are similar but not exactly the same. In fact, there are some significant differences in certain rpm ranges.
I cannot contact the previous owner because I did not buy the bike from him, but I am wondering if he tweaked the map, or if he had it dyno tuned at one time. (Due to the popping, I am thinking maybe he "tweaked" some things.)

I am considering uploading the canned tune to see if it runs any better. Do any of you run a canned tune that you are happy with? Doing this can't really hurt anything, right?

I talked to my indy shop mechanic, and he said the PCIII was junk, and wanted me to buy the TTS from him, but I'm thinking he just wants to sell me something. Granted a TTS with a dyno tune would run better than my current setup, but that's money better spent when and if I can get a cam in my opinion.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ragtop
The previous owner installed the PCIII on my 2006 Wide Glide as well as the V&H Big radius 2 into 2, and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner. I noticed a lot of decel pop, and it even pops on the 1-2 shift on occasion. I downloaded the map from the bike and compared it to the canned tune power commander has on their website. They are similar but not exactly the same. In fact, there are some significant differences in certain rpm ranges.
I cannot contact the previous owner because I did not buy the bike from him, but I am wondering if he tweaked the map, or if he had it dyno tuned at one time. (Due to the popping, I am thinking maybe he "tweaked" some things.)

I am considering uploading the canned tune to see if it runs any better. Do any of you run a canned tune that you are happy with? Doing this can't really hurt anything, right?

I talked to my indy shop mechanic, and he said the PCIII was junk, and wanted me to buy the TTS from him, but I'm thinking he just wants to sell me something. Granted a TTS with a dyno tune would run better than my current setup, but that's money better spent when and if I can get a cam in my opinion.

Should be no problem uploading the canned tune and the setup you have is pretty common. If that doesnt take care of the decel pop, then consider dynotune. I had a lot of problems with decel pop and it took some time on the dynotune to work itself out. The PCIII is fine, dont change to TTS unless your doing some future work on it.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

id call jamie at fuelmoto and ask him what he thinks .. a lot of people here swear by him.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Save your current map on your computer, then try other maps.

If they aren't any better you can always reinstall the original map.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

make sure the throttle position is set to zero.

I got rid of virtually all decel popping by following Power Commander's suggestion:

Once the above is done and you still have popping we can move on to the fuel map. Open the map you are currently using. In the 0% TP column from 2,000 RPM and higher enter a value of 20. Click upload and ride the bike. Often this is the only change that is required. You can also add a value of 10-15 in the 2% column from 3,000 RPM and higher (in addition to the 0% adjustment).
If you're not sure what to do, send me your map and I'll make the changes and email it back to you.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
01ragtop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
make sure the throttle position is set to zero.

I got rid of virtually all decel popping by following Power Commander's suggestion:

If you're not sure what to do, send me your map and I'll make the changes and email it back to you.
I'll give this a try and report back. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
formike56
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the PCIII for about 2 years. Started having problems with it..... Changed it out with the SERT Pro. Now no problems for the last 2 years. Power Comanders are a piggyback tuners.... Which lie to the ECM. The SERT actually changes the ECM. They are more $$$$. But well worth it... IMHO.... Good luck with the tune

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Nosaints1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 01ragtop
I'll give this a try and report back. Thanks.
I still have a little decel pop as well and I am going to try this fix too..that's why I like this forum....other's are usually having or have had the same problem.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI: To get rid of the popping I had to do both of Power Commander's suggestions (meaning I had to add the values at both the 0% and 2% throttle position).

Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Nosaints1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
FYI: To get rid of the popping I had to do both of Power Commander's suggestions (meaning I had to add the values at both the 0% and 2% throttle position).
Noted...thanks for the heads up WGB.

Quick Reply: Need some PCIII advice