Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in dynamometers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference in dynamometers

I am not disagreeing with what has been said here but rather adding to.

Not all Eddy Current Dyno's are created equal. The way in which the load is applied and measured varies. A load that is applied as a percentage on a high inertia dyno, verses a load that is applied to a low inertia dyno to maintain constant rate of acceleration, is harder to use for EFI tuning.
That is what I tried to say, in fewer words. OPERATOR ERROR is a HUGE factor.

I still would take an Eddy of high inertia for steady state tuning. We have 6 Eddy and 4 high inertia AC dynes at work. Guess which ones the engineers fight to have their projects on?

FWIW, the US Air Force in their testing has determined that you need a 10% INCREASE in power to feel it in your pants (seat of the pants feel). This is since the 60's.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference in dynamometers

Here is the dyno I would personally purchase, if I decide to go out on my own in couple years:

DYNOmite

This is a quote from their site:
Cruising and top end Hp can only be handled by absorption dynamometers (like the DYNOmite). Unlike “acceleration spurt” inertial testing, you can maintain any MPH indefinitely.* The absorber allows running controlled RPM step and sweep Hp tests. This picks up longer term problems often missed during short power bursts. Because everything is done under computer control (via the included “Electronic Auto-Load Control”) testing is easily done by a single mechanic.

Simulate road and track conditions on your chassis dyno by letting DYNO-MAX and your PC take control. DYNO-MAX features a “Road Load Simulation” mode that simulates vehicle momentum, air drag, rolling friction, etc. Enter the vehicle’s weight (with driver) and drag data to let this software monitor MPH vs. applied Hp, and apply the appropriate “road load” accordingly! To the drive-line and operator, the “feel” is like actually driving along.
I used to do Road Load Simulation on chassis rolls. It is a great way to cal EFI IMO. Especially with the complaints of "popping" on decell with a lot of HD riders. I think Land & Sea makes some of the best products on the market. A co-worker has one in is garage for personal use, and it is so simple to use with such friendly software, you can go wrong for the $$$.