Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake switch acting up

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011 | 10:56 PM
stilup
|
Road Warrior
Default Front brake switch acting up

The brake switch works the brake lights correct but the dash light stays on and the tail led ( light up dim) for the plate when you shut down the bike . So I take the front switch assembly apart to investigate and I find that the switch works the brake lights when you apply the brake but like I said the other two lights stay on when you shut down the bike. then by wiggling the front brake lever makes the lights go out.
So if I stick a piece of cardboard in the lever to just engage the front brake switch slightly , the two lights (dash and rear license) go out and it's normal.
I figure I must of ruined the front brake switch when I removed the lever.
I have just purchased a new front brake switch on Ebay and have to wait a few days for it.
I have the battery tender on it and it is fully charged and the 2 lights that came on were little with light draw. They go out with a shim in the lever appling slight front brake pressure so I'm 90% sure it's the switch.

Is is normal to have your front brake switch go bad by just removing the lever?

Old 06-20-2011 | 02:35 AM
upnorthbiker
Cruiser

Hi Stilup,
Youve snapped the small plastic pin that operates the switch. I did this when I installed new levers. I managed to repair mine by drilling a very small hole in it and screwing a small screw in it. So I reckon you need a new pin that activates the switch and not a switch.
Jeff

Old 06-20-2011 | 04:25 AM
stilup
|
Road Warrior

upnorthbiker, where did you drill to install a small screw?
I see the control only hitting the switch, the switch works normal to activate the brake lights so it is working.
I can manually trigger the switch with my finger when apart.

Last edited by stilup; 06-20-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2011 | 12:17 PM
upnorthbiker
Cruiser

Hi,
The end broke when sliding the new lever on mine,this made the brake light on all the time. So I fitted a very small screw inside the little pin so that it was back to the correct length.
I had a very small drill that I used to make a pilot hole before I fitted the screw.
The cost of a new pin was ridiculously high so I improvised with a very small screw.
Jeff

Old 06-20-2011 | 06:40 PM
stilup
|
Road Warrior

OK different than my situation. my switch works the lights during normal operation.
This morning it was fine and still is.
I did give the bike a good soaking yesterday but just used the hose and sponge bath.
Maybe I got some water in the wrong spot.
Well I have a new switch comming anyway and hope to just put it on the shelf.
The bike has 3 year warranty but I hate bringing it in as I need it.
Daily rider means figuring it out and ride on.
Another day brings joy here. I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure during the next rain.

Old 06-20-2011 | 06:50 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Anytime you take the front right grip off the bike you have to make sure that it goes back together properly. There is a little tab /switch in the setup that if not put back in place just right will cause your problem. I have to fiddle with this every time I change grips, levers. etc.

Old 06-20-2011 | 06:58 PM
stilup
|
Road Warrior

Curious if it would be better to disassemble the switch housing assembly before removing the lever to avoid damaging the switch.