Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Father's Day ride - clicking starter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No Father's Day ride - clicking starter...

Hope you all had a great father's day! I got in a real nice all day ride on Saturday, and figured I'd jump on the bike for a quick one hour ride this morning before guests arrived for the father's day bbq.

Anyhow, roll it out of the garage, only to hear the dreaded click, click, click (real fast clicks like a woodpecker) when pushing the starter button. My brother and I feel it's probably the starter or solenoid. Sound right?

Also, could it be the battery? Headlights come on strong, but it's 3 years old and even though the tender shows"green", past experience has taught me not to believe the tender.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of those could be the problem. Id check the battery first, the easiest thing to change.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You were right. Battery was just shy of 3 years and took a dump.

Now for a little rant:

I know most everyone recommends a tender, but I'm starting to question whether there is any benefit to using one.

This battery was hooked up religiously to the battery tender. It always showed "green" indicating that the battery was fully charged.

This is the second time (2 different battery's on 2 seperate tenders) that a healthy charged battery was indicated, but in reality it wasn't. I'm thinking seriously of tossing the tender in the garbage.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Originally Posted by cpotts454
Any of those could be the problem. Id check the battery first, the easiest thing to change.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
MacBean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a tender but only use it when the battery is low. some say that batteries wont develop a memory, but ever battery i have ever delt with the more you charge it the weaker it gets.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Back in olden times, there was no such thing as a tender, just a charger. Every spring I had to replace my battery on my Iron Head. Fast foward to 08 and my purchase of a new SB. With a tender I got 2.5 years out of my battery, would have gotten longer if it were not for the dreaded left turning SUV. My current ride has a new battery as the original owner did not use a tender and had to replace it. IMO The tender is definitely worth the money. Never had an issues starting the bike in the cold months at all. Bike batteries do not last as long as a car battery as they take much more abuse due to the vibes. Also if your charging system is not up to speed the battery will not being properly charged as you ride, and might actually become discharged or it could be damaged due to over charging if the voltage regulator is bad. Your problem is most likely isolated to the battery but there could be some underlining issues causing the battery to fail prematurely. If you feel that the battery should have lasted longer you might want to check out your charging system to ensure it is working as it should.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MacBean
some say that batteries wont develop a memory, but ever battery i have ever delt with the more you charge it the weaker it gets.
Agree 100%

Never tendered mine. At 15,500 miles and almost 3 years.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Hey bigdaddy I've got a suggestion for you. Kuryakyn has a little LED voltage monitor that indicates what voltage your charging /electrical system is delivering. If you still have the stock stator/charging system it's pretty anemic below 2200 rpms (13.2-13.4v). If you haven't already done so clean all the connections to the battery, stator plug and the connections at the main relay. This should help getting all the juice to the battery. For good reading google Deltran battery chargers. The wrong charger on a AGM battery does more harm than good. Good luck. By the way, we had some rain on Dad's day.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Battery Tender

Say what you want but I have 5 years on my battery and it's been on a tender, whenever it's in the garage, for 4 years now.