Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless engine hardware/bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
BlueBobber07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless engine hardware/bolts???

Looking to change my engine/trans. hardware to stainless. I see alot of kits on ebay. Has anyone had any luck with any of them. I know they make different grades of stainless and just don't want to get stuck with a crap set.

Thanks
Chris

Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

You may opening up the possibility of a bag of problems. Most cres hardware is the soft galling type. If you go to the 400 series then it tends to dull. Good chance you will cause a leak or brake a bolt off unless you do this type of work. Later the soft cres bolts will hang up in the Al and break off when a repair is necessary. If it was all torn down, I would go with chrome steel if you want shine. On a street bike just ride it. If you really must, bite the bullet and get the stuff from Harley. Just my opinion but I work with this stuff in submarines and somewhat know what I am talking about,

Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by grf000
You may opening up the possibility of a bag of problems. Most cres hardware is the soft galling type. If you go to the 400 series then it tends to dull. Good chance you will cause a leak or brake a bolt off unless you do this type of work. Later the soft cres bolts will hang up in the Al and break off when a repair is necessary. If it was all torn down, I would go with chrome steel if you want shine. On a street bike just ride it. If you really must, bite the bullet and get the stuff from Harley. Just my opinion but I work with this stuff in submarines and somewhat know what I am talking about,
why? you break a lot of bolts on subs?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
ltcurt33
Cruiser

I saw the kits at the HD dealer...holy sh*t were they expensive!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM
BlueBobber07
Advanced

I have used ARP stainless bolts on my hotrods and never have had a problem. I do know that stainless from Home Depot or Lowes is such a low grade it gulls and usually breaks off. My experience with chrome plated bolts is that they eventually they turn to rust. I would just like to get rid of the cadium plated stock bolts for something with a better apperience. Any time you use two different metals such as stainless and aluminum anti-seize is your best friend.

Last edited by BlueBobber07; 06-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hardware

Diamond Engineering makes kits for different parts like the primary, trans, etc. Looks good lasts a long time, not cheap though. You can also set hardware through www.customchrome.com None of these are cheap, but they will last. Stainless is the way to go...chrome will flake and rust after you've put a wrench on it.

Last edited by dyna rider; 06-18-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be Leary of some of those cheap kits.

Personally I just use Hot Toppers. Quick easy and look good.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello.... Yes...I'ts all exspensive but you get what you pay for. I have started changing over to ARP (American Racing Products). Their Hardware is top of the line. It comes in polished stainless or, black anodized, six point or 12. My first choise was 12 point stainless that claimes to exceed grade 8 for my derby cover. I hate those f**@ing torxs bolts. Just add a dab of anti-sieze compount and torque to spec. Works good, last a long time. They have a down-loadable catalog, just look in the back of your parts book for lengths and thread size.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember to not swap anything that carries a load to ordinary stainless steel - its just not strong enough. Its fine for engine covers and such but don't use it for footpegs, brake and wheel components, etc.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This is why I don't use chrome hardware any more:

Quick Reply: Stainless engine hardware/bolts???