Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost traded the Fat Bob for a Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
jodog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost traded the Fat Bob for a Street Glide

I've been putting a lot of miles on my fat bob. 5,000 in the last 5 weeks. That got me to thinking that no one puts that kind of mileage on a dyna, they all move up to tour bikes for comfort over distance. So I went to test ride a 2011 Sedona Orange SG with the 103 motor. Sitting on the bike in the showroom it looked like a no brainer -- but the test ride changed my mind. 4 issues I found were: Lots of heat thrown up on the backside of the right leg, hand grips too small (easily fixed), my legs went "uphill" even tho the saddle height is higher than the Fat Bob. Sales guy says they can move the floor boards forward and outward but no adjustment up or down. maybe fixes it. Worst was the wind buffeting the helmet. When riding into the wind the buffetting began at 55 and by 75 it was so hard it blurred my vision. Riding with the wind there was no issue. Sales guy says he can put in different windshields, but I am unconvinced and unimpressed. Oh, the 103 motor seemed slower on acceleration than the Fat Bob with a 96. WTF?

So I'll be riding the Fat Bob until the odo shows 100K.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If I rode a Dyna before I bought my SG I doubt I'd have one...

1-The buffeting sucks. I fixed mine with fork wind deflectors. I can run any height shield and be fine at any speed. Klockwerks 8.5" was best for me.

2- The suspension sucks. The Dyna has better ride quality stock.

3. The bike weighs almost 900 lbs. It's gonna be a dog with a 96" or 103" unless you wake it up with some cams.

4. I think the riding position is comfortable, but I did swap out to some 12" apes to add comfort.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
ken b
Road Captain

I went from a SG to a Dyna WG...

1. The SG is a fat *** bike. It weighs allot and has to be muscled everywhere. I'm no wimp but it's a pain to push that fat bitch into a parking place.
2. SG has storage, radio, nice gauges and has good comfort for passenger with added tour pack. Oh and cruise control.
3. WG light nimble and great for the long ride. Went 500 miles last weekend and it was cake compared to my old SG. light buffering.... I have the Sport windshiled on my WG.
4. You can control heat on your thigh with heat deflectors.

Oh, my local buddy has 100K+ on his 08 dyna wg no need for a touring bike.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM
jodog
Intermediate
Default Just say no to SG

I have a set of saddle bags and some Kury tour paks so I can carry enough for a two week trip on the Fat Bob. Looks like I don't need a tour bike when I have a Bagger Bob -- Dyna Bagger? Fat Bagger?