Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks-Last Question--I Promise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks-Last Question--I Promise!

I got great advice about the Metzler tires for my 05' FXDL from some of the forum members. However, I had planned to change the shocks out at the same time to Progressive 412's. Several members said that would be a waste but others said they had made the swap from the OEM shocks to Progressive. However, the 412's only come in an 11" and a 12" (they have other sizes that would be out of the LowRider range). My dealer told me my stock shocks are 11.5" (eyebolt to eyebolt). Progressive makes other models in the 11.5" size but they are much more expensive such as the 418's and 440's. Question: Would the 11" make much difference over stock? I know it's not dropping the rear an additional 1/2". Harley also has some shock upgrades for the Dynas that do not change the height of the LowRider? Do these gain anything in ride or would it be "putting money through the exhaust?" I get most of my advice from the forum and several had reported about the improvement in the ride of their Dynas from changing shocks. Any advice would be appreciated--

Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Shocks-Last Question--I Promise!

Are you just wanting a better ride or do you want the bike lowered some? My wife rides an 06 LR and I put the 11 inch 412's on it for her. It did lower the bike a little and it rides just fine. I guess I am not sure just what you are trying to accomplish.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Why do you want to change the shocks? Are you experiencing a problem of some sort? If you all you want to know is the change in ride height by swithcing to 11" or 12", just call Progressive's tech support and they'll tell you.

Z

ORIGINAL: docsg

I got great advice about the Metzler tires for my 05' FXDL from some of the forum members. However, I had planned to change the shocks out at the same time to Progressive 412's. Several members said that would be a waste but others said they had made the swap from the OEM shocks to Progressive. However, the 412's only come in an 11" and a 12" (they have other sizes that would be out of the LowRider range). My dealer told me my stock shocks are 11.5" (eyebolt to eyebolt). Progressive makes other models in the 11.5" size but they are much more expensive such as the 418's and 440's. Question: Would the 11" make much difference over stock? I know it's not dropping the rear an additional 1/2". Harley also has some shock upgrades for the Dynas that do not change the height of the LowRider? Do these gain anything in ride or would it be "putting money through the exhaust?" I get most of my advice from the forum and several had reported about the improvement in the ride of their Dynas from changing shocks. Any advice would be appreciated--

Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the Low Rider already has the "lowered" HD shocks on them, the replacement lowered shocks won't do anything for the bike. Depending on your mileage, riding style (aggressive/sport, highway cruising, etc.) and the condition of the roads you normally ride on, the replacement of the shocks can be a great improvement.

Progressive makes an excellent replacement shock, unfortunately not in a 412 11.5" for the late model Dynas. I've been looking and in my opinion, changing out the shocks to a 412-11" for me would be too low. I've already had my stock shock springs modified to 11.5" which is a great compromise between the original 12.5" and the 11" which for me, would not work. You can always get the 11" and then crank the preload up all the way, but depending on your weight and other factors, the ride may be too harsh.

If you're really dying to go to 11", try to find a used set on E-bay or consider having your stock 11.5" cut down to 11" and see how they ride. If you find that they'll be acceptable, it's a no brainer to go with the 11" 412's. Otherwise, get the 11.5" 418's or another shock. Me, I'm leaning toward the 11.5" 418's, which I know are expensive, but after 10,000 miles on the stockers, they're about done.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortening or lengthening the shock on a Dyna has a different effect than you might think. Look at the geometry of the rear suspension. The shock is on an angle to the swingarm and it connects to the swingarm forward of the rear axle. In order to really know what will happen, you need to take some reasonably accurate measurements and apply some trigonometry. Look at the lowering kits (not shocks), all they do is relocate the lower shock attaching point, and bingo, you have lowered the bike without changing the shocks.