Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tire Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default New Tire Needed?

Just wanted some opinions on:

1. Do I need a new rear tire? If so, how soon?

2. Why good tread in some areas, and not on others?

3. I would like to go wider, but I'm still confused on whether to go to a 170 or 180. And if so, who makes those tires.

This is the original tire with about 10k on it. I realize that's about normal, but just trying to keep it on as long as possible.

I've attached 3 pics from 3 different views of my tire to give an idea of the different tread patches.

Attached Thumbnails New Tire Needed?-hd-tire-1.jpg   New Tire Needed?-hd-tire-2.jpg   New Tire Needed?-hd-tire-3.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You needed a new tire a couple thousand miles ago. The tread on the sides is deeper because you're not riding on the sides that much. You can go to a 180 tire. Harley says you'll need their wide tire kit.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes you need new tires. could be a number of reasons why some areas wore out faster then others. bottom line you need new tires. try the SE 180 (tire on the new wide glide) you won't need the wide tire kit, just make sure your turn signal wires are tucked away. If you want a bit more performance/grip go with the metzler 170 (they don't make a 180 for the stock rim)

Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a little scary that you're operating a motorcycle and don't know when you should replace your tires.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
This is a little scary that you're operating a motorcycle and don't know when you should replace your tires.
I'm not trying to imply I don't know when to replace tires. I'm simply asking what the thoughts are on if it can go longer. There is NO issue with the tire itself, it's just the tread is worn in the middle. And the only danger that imposes is in the rain - and when it rains, I take the cage. And thankfully I haven't gotten stuck in much rain.

And it's a good thing you know everything about bikes, so that I can ask these questions!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
I'm not trying to imply I don't know when to replace tires. I'm simply asking what the thoughts are on if it can go longer. There is NO issue with the tire itself, it's just the tread is worn in the middle. And the only danger that imposes is in the rain - and when it rains, I take the cage. And thankfully I haven't gotten stuck in much rain.

And it's a good thing you know everything about bikes, so that I can ask these questions!
Exactly my point. The major issue is your tread is slim to none in the *important* part of the tire. That's grounds for replacement quite a while ago.

If you value your life, you wouldn't need to ask when you should change your tire. You should be able to look at that and say "dang, that's bad. Better order new tires since I only have two of them between me and the road."

And I don't claim to know everything about motorcycles but I do have enough common sense to know when a tire change is necessary without looking for validation on an internet forum.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 06-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That tire is shot.

Edit to add: I replaced the rear w/ a Metzler ME 880 @ 9,000 miles.

Last edited by lo-rider; 06-15-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess you better buy a tire!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Bugger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, what about a recap?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

its worn, i usually ride mine till its a racing slick ( a little worse than yours haha)

Quick Reply: New Tire Needed?