Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge readings after 2" tank lift? Some wrong but not all?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 04:07 AM
pheur
|
Tourer
Default Fuel gauge readings after 2" tank lift? Some wrong but not all?

I got a -11 FXDWG Wide Glide and want to to a 2" tank lift. After reading a few threads here it seems that some but not all fuel gauges get screwed up?

I also read a few threads about fuel gauges that is not accurate stock and people are upset. Mine I think actually are pretty accurate now as stock.

So the questions are of course with a 2" tank lift, will the fuel gauge for sure not work? Or have I got it right that for some it continues to read as usual from stock? By how much will it be off or is that also from case to case? Will it show more or less fuel than it really is left in the tank? Will the low fuel light still work or will that also be off?

If I remove the tank lift, will the gauges go back to as it is now (actually working)? (that is probably a stupid question but since alot of people have problems stock and not really a reason for it I have to ask).

Is there a technical spec or reason or whatever that makes the gauge work bad from stock and why do people get so different readings after a tank lift? Shouldn't everyone get the same results with the same equipment? Can it differ between yearly models?

Please post your experiences!

Old 06-14-2011 | 07:28 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

i figured the guage would be off but my question is this. will the countdown feature work as well as the iddiot light saying low fuel. will that be effected by the tank lift. i never look at my guage , i say its at the wrong angle to see well any way. i use the mpg rundown as well as my iddiot light comes on when i am at i believe 30 miles to go. as long as that continues to work then i might get one.

Old 06-14-2011 | 08:06 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

I never relied on my gauge before the tank lift. If I had a countdown feature I wouldn't rely on it either.

Here's my advice: Figure out your average MPG's and use your trip meter -- resetting it at each fill up.

If you get around 38 mpg in a 4.7 gallon tank that will take you about 179 miles. Fill up about every 150 to be safe.

Old 06-14-2011 | 08:47 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Tank gauge is as accurate for me as it is in a car, which isn't very accurate. Countdown feature works much better. I'll have to check it once I put the 2" lift kit on my tank. I'll let you know. It's gonna have to wait until I get home.

Meanwhile, I'm ordering one of these for my left saddlebag: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AH005XV9X3OFN

Old 06-14-2011 | 09:24 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

I don't get the tank lift thing. IMHO, it looks weird and make the fuel gauge even more unreliable.

Old 06-14-2011 | 09:48 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I don't get the tank lift thing. IMHO, it looks weird and make the fuel gauge even more unreliable.
Some like blondes, others like brunettes. This is the first bike I've ever had with a fuel gauge, so that's a non-issue to me. It's there, though, so I look at it.

Old 06-14-2011 | 10:13 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member

I installed the 2" Jackyl lift....
Not much diff in how the gauge worked, it's not accurate anyway....
I set my trip meter eveytime I fill up, and at 150 start looking for gas.
My fuel lite, works at it's leisure I think, sometimes it comes on at 127 and some times lower or higher....So, like the fuel gauge, it's useless....
Just use the trip meter....

Old 06-14-2011 | 10:42 AM
fenderzig
Road Master

I agree with the consensus here. Use your trip meter and look for a refuel station around 150 miles. My fuel gauge never worked very well and now I don't even look at it with my tank lift.

Old 06-14-2011 | 10:51 AM
Punchsmack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I never relied on my gauge before the tank lift. If I had a countdown feature I wouldn't rely on it either.

Here's my advice: Figure out your average MPG's and use your trip meter -- resetting it at each fill up.

If you get around 38 mpg in a 4.7 gallon tank that will take you about 179 miles. Fill up about every 150 to be safe.
+1

I've been debating to just cover up my gauge with some caps anyway.

Old 06-14-2011 | 11:09 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry

+1 on this. My count is off too so go by mileage. When my gauge says low and countdown is low I still have over a gallon of gas left in there.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge readings after 2" tank lift? Some wrong but not all?