Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security

I occasionally notice someone mention "security" on their bike. What are the features of the HD security system? (Obviously I don't have it on my bike.)

I installed an aftermarket system with a tilt sensor, shock sensor, and current sensor. I could add the pager option, but the reviews say it's only good for about 100', so that doesn't interest me. For now, the module is mounted behind my starter motor, but I hope to find a better place.

However, this is nothing but an alarm. We all know how much people pay attention to alarms when they go off in a parking lot. They just don't.

It seems the most common form of thievery is to heave-ho the bike into a truck and drive away. Do any of you do anything to try and make this more difficult for criminals? Cable locks, etc.? If so, what do you lock to?

I'm interested in any and all ideas on this. I like the idea of the brake locks, which will keep anyone from hot-wiring and riding away. Every little bit helps.

There is no way to prevent a determined criminal from stealing what's yours. The best we can do is make the job as difficult as possible so that most of them will go looking for easier prey.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got an '11 you have all of the security features than I have on my '07 FXD.

I keep my bike in an attached garage with doggy doors going from it the house and another from the garage to the backyard. You wouldn't want to meet my dogs.

When parked at other locations, I just have to trust my security system. The bike won't start without the fob, but any determined thief would be able to cut cables or whatnot, load the bike up and drive away.

At home, just keep the bike out of sight, out of the view of drive-by thieves just casing the neighborhood. I keep my garage door down unless I need it up to drive in or back out. People like to show off their toys and leave the garage door up. Keep it down! If you don't have the luxury of a garage, put it behind the house in a shed. If you can't have a shed, use a cover. If the cover has to be in plain view, put a Suzuki sticker on it or something.

If your concern is someone driving it away, just install a hidden ignition switch. I did that to circumvent the frame mounted switch. I now have a toggle switch mounted above the horn, hidden from view, the actual ignition switch remains switched to "ignition". I filed the nub off the key in order to remove it in that position. I can also use the same key to lock the forks or do the other functions of the switch.

My starting procedure is just flipping the toggle and hitting the start button. My fob has to be on me to do this, but that is needed anyway, even with the unaltered switch and key. I just don't have to fumble with the key anymore.

Even if my key and fob were stolen, without knowing about the hidden ignition switch, the key and fob would still not be enough to start the bike.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 320 Posts

Just get a "Support your local Hell's Angels" sticker....works like a charm!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

HemiOrange, my bike doesn't have a factory security system. No special fob. Just a cylindrical key. I had to install an aftermarket security system in order to have any sort of alarm.

Regarding the garage door, yes, mine stays down unless I'm coming or going.

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Just get a "Support your local Hell's Angels" sticker....works like a charm!!!
That'd be "Banditos" where I live. And I treat them as any other bikers. I stop and help if I see someone in need, regardless of whether or not he's flying a patch. I have assisted a few Banditos on the side of the road over the years. I just don't have the stickers (though I know a few people who do).

Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not aware of any way to "cut wires" and bypass the factory security system. Does anyone else on here know anything about this?

My understanding that the factory system (without the audible alarm) disables the ECM and thus will not allow the bike to be started. Even if someone pushes the bike away, the bike cannot be started without replacing the turn signal/security module (TSSM) with one that does not have the security feature and even then a dealer or someone with the necessary equipment would have to re-marry the new turn signal module to the bike before it would start.

The addition of an audible alarm (either the factory module or the Radio Shack one) will cause the bike to start making noise if anyone moves the bike without having the security fob present.

To the original poster, if your aftermarket system only has an alarm and does not disable the ignition, then that would be the primary difference in the systems.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
04FXDL
Cruiser

Really not trying to hijack here, but what about the Digital Guard Dog I've seen elsewhere?? Anyone use that instead of the Harley issued? Just curious myself...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 AM
canadiancruiser
Intermediate

Go old school and chain the ****er up atleast they will have to work for it

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From HD's website:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FACTORY SECURITY SYSTEM DETAILS
When armed, the Security System disables the starter and ignition while monitoring the electrical system and vehicle motion with adjustable sensitivity. Minor disturbances trigger a momentary warning; major ones an unbroken thirty-second alarm after which the Security System returns to monitoring. A distinctive four-way flasher pattern is the alarm signal. An optional self-powered Smart Siren Kit adds a piercing scream that sounds even if the battery cable is cut.

The Security System is armed and disarmed with a remote control waterproof key fob utilizing state-of-the-art rolling code technology. If the key fob is not available, the rider may arm or disarm the system by keying a previously entered personal code on the turn signal switches. A flashing status indicator informs the rider that the Security System is armed or disarmed.

When armed in the Transport Mode, the Security System disables the starter and ignition, but monitors only the electrical system, not vehicle motion. The vehicle may be moved, but electrical tampering triggers an alarm.

An Extended Storage Mode keeps the battery from discharging when the Security System is armed for extended periods of time.

The Security System is compatible with FL Touring models equipped with approved TLE/Ultra Sidecars when the system is configured as described in the SIDECAR OWNER'S MANUAL.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by canadiancruiser
Go old school and chain the ****er up atleast they will have to work for it
Yeah, I think this is best. The trick is finding something to chain it to, wherever I may go.

Security at my home is fine. Monitored alarm system with a VERY loud alarm, fast police response times, and either of several possible calibers, depending on which I have on me at the time. If the intruder doesn't get away when they hear the alarm sound, the police may have a defensive shooting investigation on their hands when they arrive.

Thanks, Bry, for the information. I have a slow connection right now, and HD's website has too many bells and whistles to load for me, so I have to depend on hdforums to help me out with these things.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
paulies 07
Road Captain

Not to hijack again, but does anybody know how to adjust the sensitivity of the HD alarm
system?? And I use a xena rotor lock as added protection

Quick Reply: Security