Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this fit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Would this fit!

Would a 8.625" fender width fit onto a 2010 Street Bob?

This is the fender (bottom of the page)
http://www.dragspecialties.com/flipb...ok/#?page=1050

Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Would a 8.625" fender width fit onto a 2010 Street Bob?

This is the fender (bottom of the page)
http://www.dragspecialties.com/flipb...ok/#?page=1050
If your fender is 8.25" wide like my '07 FXD, good luck. I bought a Jesse James 8.5" wide rear fender fully knowing that I would need to narrow it by 1/4". That's what I did. Not an easy job as the centerline was a lot thinner than the 18 ga steel of the rest of the fender due to machining of the centerline weld. I had a hard time with burn through trying to weld the two halves back together. If you can find a Paul Yaffe fender, they are over twice as thick at 12 ga and would be a lot easier to narrow. I see that yours are 14 ga, so that isn't bad at all.

On the other hand....

Just do a very careful measurement of your fender. There are two nearly 3/16" thick washers on the front strut mount hole (attached to the fender) that can be eliminated to gain another 3/8", so that will get you right at 8-5/8". Those struts also have a bit of flex in them, so it is very possible to squeeze in that fender's rear portion that lacks the spacers.

I happened to need the clearance and the spacers to remount my sissy bar brackets, but you might be good to go. You will most likely find that the predrilled holes won't align with your existing struts, but maybe they won't show. Just be sure to do a lot of measuring while your stock fender is still in place. I just drew a mark on each side of the strut at the highest arc point of the fender with a Sharpie and made a cardboard "horse shoe" template to straddle the fender, touching the strut on each side, at the marks, and just touching the top arc of the fender. When mounting the new fender, I just adjusted it up until it just hit the bottom of the template and marked my new holes to drill in the fender. Placing shims between the tire and fender and fender and struts also helped keep things aligned.

There was a lot more to it than that, but I was dealing with a fender blank that I not only had to narrow, but also reduce it's radius, opening a whole new can of worms, then re-radius the openings, cut in the belt recess, etc. Now I'm frenching in the license plate. That's something that you can buy already done with your fender. Go for it!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by HemiOrange; 06-14-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

The struts on the bike, are the the same distance apart along the inside athe front bolt holes as they are at the rear bolt holes. I can't see why the distance would narrow from rear to front.
I guess what I should do is lower my rear fender and measure the distance and then call Klock Werks and findout some more detailed specs of the fender. I could also talk to them about having not predrilled so I would have to fill in the predrilled after I drilled out what would be needed for it to fit mike bike.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
stev0n
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the new wide glide & fat bob fenders will fit without much work (& they will) this should go on fairly easily too.

my 08 fxd fender is 8.5" by the way.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stev0n
if the new wide glide & fat bob fenders will fit without much work (& they will) this should go on fairly easily too.

my 08 fxd fender is 8.5" by the way.
I measured mine many different ways while it was on the bike, tough to do, and my measurements ranged from 8.25 to 8.5 inches. My calipers wouldn't go past 6" but I really needed to know. When removed they were 8.25" wide the whole way.

My '07 struts narrow in towards the rear, but the fender doesn't, therefore there are spacers at the front. A simple visual will tell you if your bike is the same. Just look between the strut and fender at the front and rear mounting points.

Again, I just narrowed an 8.5" rear fender to fit my '07 FXD, so it's not like I'm making this stuff up. I sliced and rewelded it to exactly 8.25" wide and it fits like stock.

Like I earlier posted, the front spacers aren't necessarily needed, so eliminating them will gain you more fender clearance.

I wasn't aware of any changes made in the rear fenders or struts between '07 and '10, but if there was, as stevOn and you are claiming, then you have an easy swap.

Why can't my mods be as easy!

Last edited by HemiOrange; 06-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 AM
stev0n
Road Master

hemi,

i just remeasured my fender (sitting in the kitchen) and it looks like ur right.
it's 9" wide at the seat end and 8 & 1/4" at the taillight end.

so without going outside & measuring my struts, i'm guessing at most he should be able to stretch the struts out a little with a bottle jack like several did to fit 200 tires and the fender should theoretically fit just fine.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 AM
stev0n
Road Master

here's a good thread with pics to read.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...treet-bob.html

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stev0n
here's a good thread with pics to read.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...treet-bob.html
Lot's of good info there.

Yeah, measuring the fenders isn't that easy. Even when removing them there are still variances that make it hard to tell what will fit what. It becomes a trial and error effort.

I'm still not clear what the guy did to make the indents for the fitment. I toyed with this idea myself, but took the obvious, but more difficult route of narrowing the entire fender. I didn't think that my sissy bar and whatever could ever fit again if mods like that were done. They seem to be designed to only fit with the original spacers and spacing between the fenders and struts.

I'm making progress in my fender, just wish I took a few pictures to document what I've done for future builders. On the other hand, I doubt too many people on here are set up to narrow, re-radius, french, smooth and paint a rear fender. It takes a few tools for sure.