Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a speed bump and bike died, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit a speed bump and bike died, ideas?

Hey all, I was out riding last night and hit a gnarly speed bump. Bike cut out almost instantly. All the electronics still work, bike still turns over but will not fire. My first thought was the shock had triggered the fuel shut off switch (tip mode). Waitied 15 mins and bike still would not start. Disconnected battery, still nothing. Reset fuel shut off device (inside electrical box), still nothing. Ended up getting it towed home.

I've got it on the trickle charger now as I pretty much drained the battery trying to start the bike but I plan on screwing with it this afternoon. Anyone have a similar experience? Any ideas as to what is going on? I'm almost certain its something electrical in but I'm not sure where to start.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

did you check to see if you have spark? if not i would check the plug for the ecm and also check the coil feed line.

if you have spark then check the wiring for the fuel pump or possibly fuses/relay's

have you seen this thread?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lp-please.html

Last edited by 1HD1C; 06-12-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing in the tank when the "Run" switch is turned on?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain

Yes the fuel pump is running. I had a few mins to look at it earlier and determined the bike is not getting spark. All fuses are good, would a bad relay cause this? I removed the PCV and still no-go so I can rule that out.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is the strangest thing i have ever heard happen to any harley ever. when you find the problem please post it. i am very curious.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
Yes the fuel pump is running. I had a few mins to look at it earlier and determined the bike is not getting spark. All fuses are good, would a bad relay cause this? I removed the PCV and still no-go so I can rule that out.
most definitely, and it seems due to design they become corroded
so i would check the ground on the battery and engine first and then move on to the relay's

Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
most definitely, and it seems due to design they become corroded
so i would check the ground on the battery and engine first and then move on to the relay's
+1 on the ground cable, but remember to check both ends. For some reason people tend to check it at the battery and never consider where it actually connects to the frame. Also check the positive while you're there and the voltage regulator plug at the front of the engine.

Something has definitely jarred loose.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the tilt switch. (I think that's what it's called)

Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain

Ok guys, I checked fuses, relays, and grounds to and from the battery. All good. I also checked and cleaned the ECM connection. A few pins were quite dirty and looked dark brown/black, almost like they had gotten too hot.
I checked DTCs and got three codes, none of which I was expecting seeing that I thought my problem was no spark. Here are the codes:
P0261 - Front injector open/low
P0263 - rear injector open/low
U1097 - loss of speedo serial data to ECM

Any ideas? I just went and bought a multimeter to begin checking sensors and whatnots. I've never used one before and am somewhat lost, so if anyone could explain how I would go about checking ohms at the coil/crank position senor I would greatly appreciate it.

Update: I checked the coil with the multimeter and the ohms check out. Still not sure how to check the coil lead.

Last edited by drnk_n_publick; 06-13-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If not the ECM fuse......make sure the the Crank position sensor is sending signal to ECM

Quick Reply: Hit a speed bump and bike died, ideas?