Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a speed bump and bike died, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
If not the ECM fuse......make sure the the Crank position sensor is sending signal to ECM
Will do....didnt throw a code but I do plan on checking this.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
Ok guys, I checked fuses, relays, and grounds to and from the battery. All good. I also checked and cleaned the ECM connection. A few pins were quite dirty and looked dark brown/black, almost like they had gotten too hot.
I checked DTCs and got three codes, none of which I was expecting seeing that I thought my problem was no spark. Here are the codes:
P0261 - Front injector open/low
P0263 - rear injector open/low
U1097 - loss of speedo serial data to ECM

Any ideas? I just went and bought a multimeter to begin checking sensors and whatnots. I've never used one before and am somewhat lost, so if anyone could explain how I would go about checking ohms at the coil/crank position senor I would greatly appreciate it.

Update: I checked the coil with the multimeter and the ohms check out. Still not sure how to check the coil lead.

The codes for the injectors say that the ECM doesn't see a complete circuit through the injectors. The yellow/green wire that powers the injectors is the same yellow/green wire that powers the coils. These come from the "System Relay" (not to be confused with the Start Relay). Power is from the battery, to the Maxi-Fuse, to the 15A ECM fuse through the System Relay and to the Injectors, Coil and (through a second fuse) the Fuel Pump. That is why I asked earlier if the fuel pump is working. If the fuel pump is running the the injectors and coil should also have power.
Another point common to all these indicators is the "Rear Ground Stud" under the Electrical Center. A bad connection there would also give the Injector Open and the Loss of Serial Data from the Speedometer.
Post up more if you are still having trouble. Good luck.......................

Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFMM3
The codes for the injectors say that the ECM doesn't see a complete circuit through the injectors. The yellow/green wire that powers the injectors is the same yellow/green wire that powers the coils. These come from the "System Relay" (not to be confused with the Start Relay). Power is from the battery, to the Maxi-Fuse, to the 15A ECM fuse through the System Relay and to the Injectors, Coil and (through a second fuse) the Fuel Pump. That is why I asked earlier if the fuel pump is working. If the fuel pump is running the the injectors and coil should also have power.
Another point common to all these indicators is the "Rear Ground Stud" under the Electrical Center. A bad connection there would also give the Injector Open and the Loss of Serial Data from the Speedometer.
Post up more if you are still having trouble. Good luck.......................
Thanks for the great info. Headin to work now but I'll look in to all of this tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get it fixed?? Having a similar issue...

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

im new to dynas so maybe this is not possible....but is your battery able to move.I wonder if the post on your battery didnt short when you went over the bump.If so this could potentially be a problem for everyone.Did you check the fuses going from a schematic or did you just check the ones you saw?--good luck

Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride back over the speed bump again...

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/191671

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Barz
Cruiser

I had this very thing happen a few months back but it happened because I hit a gnarly pothole in the dark. Check your Crank Position Sensor. I followed mine from the from of the engine to the back behind the starter. I pulled it out from behind the starter frame area and sure enough it was stripped a little bit and pinched. I just taped it up and my bike started right up. Have not had a problem since. Definitely check this because I literally had the same issues.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM
cudafish340
Stage III

I too am having the same problem with my wide glide! Me and my daughter were riding and I hit a drainage ditch and boom shut off. Pushed it to a parking spot and let it sit for 45 minutes came back and it started up and ran for 5 min. then shut off again? Pushed it for 15 min. and it decided to start, ran for 5 min. again and shut off. Took it out today and it ran for 10 minutes then BAM shut off. It will turn overe fine, and everything lights up and gauges work, I think it loses spark?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an older thread and some reason the OP never said what he found.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
cudafish340
Stage III
Thumbs up problem solved!

Well I finally got around to replacing my CPS and that did the trick! Took it out for a ride and it stays running now! Glad I looked at the forum before wasting a bunch of time.