Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob HD windshield question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
rdmption
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob HD windshield question/issue

Late last season I bought a 14" Quick-Release Compact Windshield (58348-06) directly from the dealer. After trying a 19" I decided that I preferred the shorter shield because it still enabled me to look over the windshield and helped deflect the slipstream over my helmet. On paper it was perfect, but after riding for the first time with it I noticed that a significant amount of wind was finding it way directly up my chest and toward my face. At 70+ mph it progressively gets so strong that it can't see clearly because the turbulence vibrates my helmet. I tried playing with the shield and adjusting it lower roughly 3/4" above the headlight and 1 3/4" above, but the results were very similar. While I ride I sometimes try to feel where the wind is being deflected off of and so far no clue. I was thinking since its a street bob maybe its my high bars/mirrors, or perhaps the wind is hitting the tank and being pushed up. If anyone has experienced the same thing please provide some feedback. Thank you.

Its a shame because the shield is brand new I literally rode with it three times. I think my only option might be to sell it and get the HD touring shield.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
2Loose
6th Gear

i'm interested in what you end up with, my '10 street bob needs a windshield i've decided, just getting tired of the wind blast (don't wear/don't need to/helmet here....) when riding over 45, at 65-70 it gets tiring, was looking at some short shields to try to deflect the wind up and over or around me, but getting lots of different opinions, don't need a full touring setup, just something small that will do the job....

Hoping somebody will contribute to this thread that will help both of us....
-2Loose-
Maui

Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just because the shield forces the air down and up around the tank. It's not so bad without a helmet, but I can see how it would be bad with one. I fix mine by playing with the angle of the shield as well.

However, most people just get lowers of some sort (glass or metal) and attach them to the shield. Ugly, but functional.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 06-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

i have the full size (not touring) HD/QD shield on my bob. added a fork bag and memphis shades lowers and the ride ain't bad. i never ride with a helmet though (don't even own one), so can't help ya there...

EDIT: IF I CAN REMEMBER, i will snap a cell phone pic when i get off work today and post it later.

Last edited by hd_sob; 06-10-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** can it and just get a full face helmet..............that's what I did

Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have that shield too and it's useless. HD's wind tunnel must be some guy sitting in a room with a floorfan in front of him because at anything over 30-40 mph you are better off without the shield. I now use the sport shield that HD sells for the Rocker. It's curved and smaller. There is no buffeting and in my opinion looks better on the Dyna. I use this shield on the interstate where you know cruised speeds are usually between 70-80 mph and it is great. No wind pressure on my chest but enough air that my helmet stays vented.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedonthere
**** can it and just get a full face helmet..............that's what I did
Yeah, if you are going to wear a helmet, this makes more sense to me than a helmet sheild. People always have problems with the helmet and shield combo.

PS - This is the sport shield on mine (seems to be better than most):

Last edited by DSnoopy; 06-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

should give you an idea of what i spoke of in a previous post, regarding lowers and such:

angle view:

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+ on the lowers. The wind gets directed to your shins and straight up. If you have a visor on your helmet, take that off. Made a world of difference when I have my shield on anyway.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Supergo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put the HD 58387-06 Quick release Compact which is the 18" version. I have never ridden with a windshield but now I can ride at highway speeds in relative peace. Not that this cures all the problems when riding with an open face helmet, but it helps.

Quick Reply: Street Bob HD windshield question/issue