Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New noise coming from the primary

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Karsten, are you talking about the o ring on the drain plug??? Cuz I did change all the fluids a couple of weeks ago and had to replace both o rings for primary drain plug and the oil drain plug. The noise started up before I did the fluid change...

And yes, I only put 800 miles on the bike last summer...I live in Vancouver, Canada where it does nothing but RAIN!!! I hate riding in the rain....

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Krash26
Tourer

I will check the belt again and clean it really well. Lets see what happens with the noise....

Last edited by Krash26; 06-13-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Krash26
Karsten, are you talking about the o ring on the drain plug??? Cuz I did change all the fluids a couple of weeks ago and had to replace both o rings for primary drain plug and the oil drain plug. The noise started up before I did the fluid change...

And yes, I only put 800 miles on the bike last summer...I live in Vancouver, Canada where it does nothing but RAIN!!! I hate riding in the rain....
No, there is a Rubber Bumper on the frame that the jiffy stand rests against when in the Up Position to keep from banging against the frame. I had my fluids changed and right after noticed a noise that was making me crazy worrying about the IPB.

Read somewhere about how a tech will rotate the bumper out of the way while accessing the oil plug and often forget the turn it back.

I found the bumper, rotated it down and no more banging, clanking sounds.

Karsten

Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Krash26
Tourer

Ok...different. I didn't have to move anything out of the way to access that drain plug, but I will have a look tomorrow at that rubber piece for the jiffy stand.

Thanks...

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,973 Likes on 4,165 Posts

I will check the belt again and clean it really well. Lets see what happens with the noise....
Clean belts are what makes noise unless they are new. They start out with a form of lube on them.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Krash26
Tourer

ok...I will clean it and lube it. I don't think its the belt, but better to cover all the bases.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,973 Likes on 4,165 Posts

ok...I will clean it and lube it. I don't think its the belt, but better to cover all the bases.
Did not mean to imply you lube the drive belt. Just stating what Harley say in their owners manual under rear drive belt. Its there to keep it quite till the newness wears off or you get 10 miles form the dealer I guess. Actually you are going to hear a little noise from the belt if you get it squeaky clean. Little dust or rubber dust and it is quite. If you think its the belt, sprinkle a little talcum (baby power) on it. it acts as a dry lubricant and will quieten it right down. Rubs off shortly. If it is the belt I would ignore it. Harley are not trying to be Cads.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,162 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by dynabobster
For all those who bring up the belt tension etc.the OP said the noise is constant now. And his description of a chirp noise is consistent with many others who have had the IPB fail.
The IPB noise happens in neutral. Soon as you pull the clutch and dump the tranny into first...the noise disappears. Every time! It is not "constant".

Also an accurate description of the IPB noise....is the sound of roller skate wheels or skate board wheels being spun rapidly by your hand. A kind of noisy bearing grinding like noise. Pickup an old 1960 vintange roller skate...the kind with those metal rock crusher wheels. Spin the wheels rapidly with your hand. There...right there..that's the noise of an IPB failing.

Ask me how I know....look at the date of the bike in my sig pic. I bought it last November...making the noise. Almost 3,000 miles later (New England winter and spring miles).....it's still louder than ever!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
The IPB noise happens in neutral. Soon as you pull the clutch and dump the tranny into first...the noise disappears. Every time! It is not "constant".

Also an accurate description of the IPB noise....is the sound of roller skate wheels or skate board wheels being spun rapidly by your hand. A kind of noisy bearing grinding like noise. Pickup an old 1960 vintange roller skate...the kind with those metal rock crusher wheels. Spin the wheels rapidly with your hand. There...right there..that's the noise of an IPB failing.

Ask me how I know....look at the date of the bike in my sig pic. I bought it last November...making the noise. Almost 3,000 miles later (New England winter and spring miles).....it's still louder than ever!
Yup! That's exactly what mine did! Knew right away what was going on!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat

Yes and when they first start to go they can be intermittent which could be described as a Chirping noise. Geez, frigginng semantics and no one here, except the OP, has actually heard the noise so everyone is ASSuming what the problem might be.

Quick Reply: New noise coming from the primary