Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome lower shock bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome lower shock bolts?

I want to put chrome lower shock bolts on but I don't know what grade chrome bolts are. Does anybody see any issues in doing this? Will a chrome bolt be strong enough over the stock?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT-FXDL
I want to put chrome lower shock bolts on but I don't know what grade chrome bolts are. Does anybody see any issues in doing this? Will a chrome bolt be strong enough over the stock?
I've had too many chrome bolts snap to trust them for a fairly critical component. I've never seen them graded, either.

If their looks are that important to you, just put chrome caps on them.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

"I want to put chrome lower shock bolts on but I don't know what grade chrome bolts are."
You can go online and purchase grd 8 chrome bolts - I got some grd 8 chrome allen head bolts to replace the torx bolts in the trip trees and the fender strut covers. Or if you have some time on your hands, you can put a pretty good shine on the OEM bolts by buffing with some "simichrome" polish and a little elbow grease. Hope that helps.
~

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by O-Town D
You can go online and purchase grd 8 chrome bolts - I got some grd 8 chrome allen head bolts to replace the torx bolts in the trip trees and the fender strut covers. Or if you have some time on your hands, you can put a pretty good shine on the OEM bolts by buffing with some "simichrome" polish and a little elbow grease. Hope that helps.
~
Interesting about the chrome grade 8's you found. So many of my foot pegs, controls, and other accessories come with cheap chrome bolts. If I don't I immediately chase their threads, they snap before I can get them tight enough to hold. Then to get the proper torque applied, the socket heads round out.

I also work in the nuclear industry and have received many bulletins in the past about counterfeit bolts, marked as grade 5 or 8, but were failing in critical conditions. If a government agency, such as the Dept of Energy, with such strict QA standards and buys only from prequalified vendors can still get fooled, I have to wonder about unknown online sources. Not that I trust HD's sources, either.

With that said, we as bike owners and riders can often tell when a fastener isn't up to it's job. If it goes in with a lot of resistance, it's an immediate clue that something isn't right, nylock nuts excluded. If the heads or recessed allen or torx sockets start rounding off before achieving adequate torque with the proper sized (tight fitting) drive, that's another indication of poor metalurgy. When you have a genuine grade 8 bolt, you can most often just tell the difference, they are tougher than whatever tool you are using on them.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
If their looks are that important to you, just put chrome caps on them.
Do they make chrome caps for button head socket bolts?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 AM
djack
Road Master

chrome bolts may look good but they go against everything the bolt is designed to do, especially on critical fasteners as hemi orange said

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djack
chrome bolts may look good but they go against everything the bolt is designed to do, especially on critical fasteners as hemi orange said
Yes, good point. I certainly don't want to compromise any critical fasteners. I'll see if I can find some chrome caps that will work on button head socket bolts. Anybody know where I can find some?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Or, maybe I'll just paint the bolt head black.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
"So many of my foot pegs, controls, and other accessories come with cheap chrome bolts. If I don't I immediately chase their threads, they snap before I can get them tight enough to hold. Then to get the proper torque applied, the socket heads round out."
Hemi,
Appreciate the well-written and thoughtful discussion on the issues regarding the utilization of chrome fasteners on a bike (or any vehicle), particularly in the more critical areas of assembly. And in support of your argument I've definitely run across my share of low-grade "bling" fasteners that I wouldn't even use on a child's toy. I've learned over time to carefully inspect and test-fit all new fasteners that go on my bike to minimize the chances of pre-mature failure, and I also inspect all critical fasteners periodically to ensure long-term integrity and performance. I'm happy to report that up to now I've had great success, and hoping my "good luck" extends well into the future.
Ride safe.
~

Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Do they make chrome caps for button head socket bolts?
Check out Hot Toppers. Not sure if they fit the button heads, but J&P Cycles carries all kinds of chrome covers.

On the other hand, I just now saw that J&P sells chrome plated grade 8 Torx buttonhead screws and claims that they are made in the USA!

I would definitely give J&P a look.

Quick Reply: Chrome lower shock bolts?