Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T storms !!! Ride on .. or wait it out ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
I never really thought about the lightning aspect till I came to these forums. I guess I always assumed it was the same thing as a car. Now whether or not people on bikes do get hit, I at least think about it and give pause.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517985,00.html

Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this:

Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just drive on as long as the wind gusts don't knock you over

Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure why you need to ask this question if you don't have the sense to know when you should get off the road you probably shouldn't be riding, I am old school if I am cool i put on more clothes, if i am hot I take them off, if its a shower and I am not getting drenched I ride on if I am getting soaked I pull over and get wet weather gear on (if I have it) if I don't have wet weather gear (which is most of the time) I just pull over and get out of the rain, over here its pretty hot most the time when we have storms so I can ride on but back home if it was raining and a storm in winter not stopping might mean you do make it at all. and that isn't any party I am in a rush to get to.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM
CB1
Tourer

I've rode in rain a few times, but just rain. Think the second you say Thunderstorm in the Oklahoma area it is time to pull over if you have some place to get cover. Around here a Thunderstorm brings lightning and heavy rain and possible hail. You tube the hail storm that hit OKC in 2010, hail got to the size of baseballs in a very short time. Oh and you may want to check a weather app on your phone and make sure that there is no rotation with the storm cause you may get more than just high winds especially during the spring.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
not sure why you need to ask this question if you don't have the sense to know when you should get off the road you probably shouldn't be riding, I am old school if I am cool i put on more clothes, if i am hot I take them off, if its a shower and I am not getting drenched I ride on if I am getting soaked I pull over and get wet weather gear on (if I have it) if I don't have wet weather gear (which is most of the time) I just pull over and get out of the rain, over here its pretty hot most the time when we have storms so I can ride on but back home if it was raining and a storm in winter not stopping might mean you do make it at all. and that isn't any party I am in a rush to get to.
If you think this question is self explanitory, you probably should have had the sense not to reply. peace man.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I ride on unless I hit a storm like last year in Minn. on the way home from Sturgis. The rain got so heavy and in wind blown sheets that I could not see the road let alone the white lines on I-90. Finally came to an over pass and pulled over. It was late so we had just went to the next intersection and returned to a town that we had just passed through.

Was raining the next day but visibility was good.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1
I've rode in rain a few times, but just rain. Think the second you say Thunderstorm in the Oklahoma area it is time to pull over if you have some place to get cover. Around here a Thunderstorm brings lightning and heavy rain and possible hail. You tube the hail storm that hit OKC in 2010, hail got to the size of baseballs in a very short time. Oh and you may want to check a weather app on your phone and make sure that there is no rotation with the storm cause you may get more than just high winds especially during the spring.
+1 on having a weather app on the phone. When I had an iphone I used Radar Scope. Since upgrading to Android, I use IMap Weather, MyCast Weather, and I have a link to Weather Underground's "Wundermap" on my home screen.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM
SLiKPMC
Intermediate

Should you ride through it or not? Ride within your limits. That is the answer to your question. It doesn’t matter what people are saying here so much as what; are the best things to be aware of, and preparations. Make the call, you know you're weather better than we do. I have ridden in the storms, I have seen lightning blow up a power line next to the light I was sitting at just after I was thinking... "man light stay green, I got a bad feeling..." keep in mind, lightning travels from the highest strike point down to ground... and obviously is attracted to metal. Hail is another thing to keep in mind. If you feel like pushing through it… just keep your senses about you, and keep aware of shelter.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,137 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
If you see cows or roof tops flying around it's a good time to take cover, other than that I ride on.
I just ride through lightning, after a few cracks it gets old.
Thunderstorms comming this week and I'll be riding in as usual.
Last nights thunderstorm was BRUTAL. I left an onsite up in Norwich late last night....that sucker was coming in fast...I was hauling *** down 395 trying to stay ahead of it. The rain caught me before I got home, but I was safe in the garage by the time the lightening got to where I live.
Not fond of hail like we had last week...that stuff was a good size.

Quick Reply: T storms !!! Ride on .. or wait it out ?