Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How dependable is your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have kept it up for 10 years you need to see a doctor. Usually they say if you keep it up for longer than 4 hours you need to seek medical help.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No.1 fault with Harleys is the owners; they just get tinkered with so much. If you leave them completely alone apart from servicing they are generally trouble-free for much longer.

Main causes of problems are not using Loctite Blue on every nut and bolt and not using a torque wrench when swapping out everything from air cleaners to wheels.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
DuRsT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, an outstanding number of responses, thanks to all.

The resounding answer I see is that most are reporting a largely trouble-free ownership experience with a couple that had issues, overall great statistics.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to change oils and purchase tires and fuel

Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend a WG (and I have one) for long trips, get a tourer model or another bike altogether, now i know your all going to get pissy but like I said I own one and love it, i just know the realities of long rides and there are better bikes out there,

Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
DuRsT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
I would not recommend a WG (and I have one) for long trips, get a tourer model or another bike altogether, now i know your all going to get pissy but like I said I own one and love it, i just know the realities of long rides and there are better bikes out there,
Nah man, I don't get pissy, I appreciate the input. What do you find uncomfortable about the bike; is it the seat, the overall geometry, the ride....? Thanks for the input.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
With the right setup the WG is just fine for a long haul. In stock form I totally agree with your statement. Many thought I was crazy crossing country on it, but she held and handled like a dream. I never woulda tried it with the stock seat or without my apes as that's what kept it comfortable. I am considering a bat wing and hard bags for the next journey, then I'll have my "touring bike"

Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM
pcbertsch
Tourer

6,000 in 3 months. Other than normal wear/tear, no issues.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

50k in less than 2 years 05 electraglide;
3 sets of chain tensioners, shifter arm 3 times, oil pressure sending unit, burnt piston, led lens on tour pack fell off, fuel gauge don't work except when full (lot of good that does) kickstand did a really shitty thing POS, floor boards nearly fell off, swing arm bolt broke in 3 places for no apparent reason almost lost passenger board then, exhaust stud broke off, then broke extractor off in stud, voltage regulator failed, 3 dipsticks turned bottle rocket when piston burnt, then there are the tires, so many tires god so many tires, thre sets of mirrors crumbled away, look like they came off of 50 year old bikes, all the patina on the inner fairing is just hideous, seen krylon hold up better, windshield was really f'd up when it got changed, on second set of rotted exhaust covers looking for my 3rd set, the finish on the whole front end is horrible. the hiway lamp bar rusted all the way thru all the chrome peeled off like and orange, second one is almost done now too, hand controls for radio don't work, nasty piece of plastic in console looked retarded old and flaky, whole console so pitted had to be replaced, before I replaced it the gas door rattled so much you could barely hear the radio, 3rd set of grips, bag bars are down to bare metal, never missed an oil change or a service. good thing I like my bike or I would call it a pile of ****.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 Street Glide just turned 38k and she's never has once even had a hickup.

Quick Reply: How dependable is your Harley?