Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How dependable is your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem I had on my 95 flstn was rider fatigue, where have you been in the last 30 years? If your bike is maintained according to the owners manual you can ride until you need new tires and than start all over again.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
RGreeves
Intermediate
Default I guess I will be stronger...

... when I'm spending $300 - $500 per scheduled service (plus parts (and labour for exceptional items)), all at less than 20000 miles, I have have the expectation that I WON'T be spending $1000s on brakes and a clutch! Pffft!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between the last two baggers I have logged about 130,000 miles. Only been stranded one time. I broke a belt 75 miles from home. That's the only time I have had any trouble that I couldn't take care of along side the road. These were both twin cam bikes.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Have an 07 Dyna with 20,000 plus and I really only had one issue (one issue that I did not create for myself that is). On my way to Sturgis the throttle set screw back out causing my idle to go way up. Dealer fixed it pretty quick. I am not worried when I take long trips at all, I look after the bike like I should and it does not give me problems.

As far as a WG being comfortable for long trips, that is really a personal thing. I take long trips, one of which I was on the bike all day everyday for the better part of three weeks and I was perfectly comfortable. Others might not be comfortable doing that.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 PM
RGreeves
Intermediate
Default Unfortunately...

This is not my experience.

Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
The only problem I had on my 95 flstn was rider fatigue, where have you been in the last 30 years? If your bike is maintained according to the owners manual you can ride until you need new tires and than start all over again.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM
posr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RGreeves
This is not my experience.
Get a service manual and some tools and learn to do the work yourself. You'll be happier.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 PM
2010fxdwgrider
Intermediate

Reliability won't be an issue if you're considering a late model bike. You won't think twice about making a weekend trip if you feel like it.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70k on my 2004 Lowrider,zero problems. Absolutely the best motorcycle Ive ever owned(there where lots of them in 37 years of riding). I commute 120 kilometers a day each way,a bit over an hour,rain,fog,whatever,and the only time she missed a beat was early in the spring when it was around the freezing mark. Being carburated,she did some backfires through the carb.

My last bike,a 96 Wide Glide I also bought new(80" Evo),was not quite as trouble free,but still a very good motorcycle. The kill switch developed a short that would shut the engine off,the speedo was replaced at least twice,and I broke the belt from running it to slack.

My older Harleys were not like this,as much as I loved them all. Buy a newer Harley,maintain it,and it will take a lot of miles to wear one out.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM
RGreeves
Intermediate
Default Doesn't matter how adept I am with a wrench...

when the clutch explodes on a Friday and I need to get to work on Monday.

I don't want to be the turd in the punchbowl here but several thousands of $ in maintenance, towing and repairs, during 20000 miles of operation, does not a reliable vehicle make.

But maybe I'm just unlucky.

Originally Posted by posr
Get a service manual and some tools and learn to do the work yourself. You'll be happier.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

RGreeves he is talking about getting a Dyna which is a different animal than a Sporty.

Sorry you have had trouble with your Sporty but if you had the service manual and did your own service you wouldn't be paying $300-$500 for each scheduled maintenance. While it sucks about your clutch, the money you saved from doing your own service would have helped pay for that.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 06-03-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: How dependable is your Harley?