Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011 | 10:54 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser
Default Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Hey guys I made this video to explain how the stock mid shifter setup is removed to install forwards without removing the primary...I hope this helps someone. I read the posts on here and then just made a short video to explain the process. Some people are picture people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mhN_1AP-4

Old 05-31-2011 | 11:09 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

I might add that the outer primary cover doesn't have to come off either.

Old 05-31-2011 | 11:18 PM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

NICE! Awesome info to have (6 months ago!) I pulled the primary... Sucked @ss!!

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:27 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

Yeah I left my outer primary on too, good video though for those that want to remove it

Old 06-01-2011 | 04:56 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tat2u
Yeah I left my outer primary on too, good video though for those that want to remove it
Or just do what he did, but leave the cover on. Good video. Perhaps a $15 Harbor Freight air saw (I have one) could have saved a lot of time. I'd definitely start the cut like he did, though. with a hacksaw blade and do like he suggested and apply some tape, I'd recommend duct tape.

The video, with the cover off, just made it easier to see what was going on beneath the outer primary cover. That might have been the intention, in fact he might have mentioned that.

Great video, Itcurt33, so many people on here are asking how to install forwards and words are never enough.

Myself, I just left the shaft in place and put the Kury supplied cap over the splined end and used their supplied clip to hold that arm back behind the rear primary cover.

A flush cap over the outer primary cover would look better for sure, instead of the deep cap like I used, but should I ever change my mind and decide to return to mids, the hardware is still there.

I really appreciate it when people like Itcurt33 take the time to video or document their mods. I'm sure this video will be referenced for years to come.

Great job, Itcurt33!

Old 06-01-2011 | 07:04 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

Possibly doing this project soon. Thanks for the video.

Old 06-01-2011 | 07:07 AM
jcmusic
Tourer

I did the same thing just left the shaft on and put the deep cover on it!!!

Jay

Old 06-01-2011 | 08:59 AM
HarleyLance
Advanced

Well done ltcurt33 - thanks for posting!

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:08 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

You are amazing! I will be doing that next week, thanks so much.

Old 06-01-2011 | 01:04 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

You guys are welcome...I did make two videos but the first one was not very good. In the first vid the primary cover was on but I felt the second one gave a better visual of what everything looks like while doing the mod.

THE GUYS HERE ARE RIGHT....YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE PRIMARY COVER AND YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T TO KEEP DIRT, SHAVINGS, ETC OUT OF YOUR PRIMARY. ALSO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRAIN YOUR LUBRICANT BUT I FELT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO GO AHEAD AND DO IT WHILE I HAD THE TIME...I PUT THE PRIMARY COVER BACK ON BEFORE CUTTING AGAIN BUT HAD IT OFF WHILE I SHOT THE VIDEO...

SECOND...POWER SAWS AND OTHER TOOLS CAN BE USED BUT YOU MAY NEED TO JACK THE BIKE UP OR HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT UPRIGHT WHILE USING THEM SO YOU CAN GAIN ACCESS TO THE CUTTING AREA.

LASTLY...THE SLIDE ON CAPS ARE A GOOD IDEA AND I SAW THEM IN THE MULTI FIT SECTION OF TWO DIFFERENT HARLEY DEALERS FOR LIKE $15.00. I will take a photo and provide the Harley Part # when I stop in again.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and if someone see's something that can be done better please post it for everyone to see.

Curt

Last edited by ltcurt33; 06-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!