Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012 | 12:22 AM
shipsaeki
4th Gear

Great thread and great video. I'm new to Harley's but not new to wrenching. This thread and video came in very handy! I was ready to pull the primary covers off but found this thread. I was able to do the entire forward control setup in about 45 minutes with cutting... if you have a little pancake compressor and an air saw, it will save you a lot of time with cutting.

One thing worth noting with this method is that you will not be able to change the original shifter linkage, the linkage that connects the long rod to the transmission. My forward control kit (black) came with an extra link in black but I can live without it for now so I just reused the stock satin aluminum linkage.

Old 09-08-2012 | 05:39 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Been reading this entire thread getting ready to do this myself. Just ordered the reduced reach HD forwards. Looks like I have two options if I don't want to remove the primary: 1) cut the shifter shaft off like the video shows and use the plug with the kit that mounts flush to the outer case. 2) leave the shaft in and tuck and/or secure the inner part of the shaft behind a bolt and put a cap over the splines where the shaft sticks out of the outer primary.

My question - what caps does the HD kit come with? I'd assume it just comes with the flush cap for the outer primary since the MoCo assumes you'll remove the primary to remove the shaft. If I want to keep the shaft in, am I going to need to seek out another cap? I saw in another thread that the shaft can be tapped in flush with the primary cover, but does the flush cap fit over that?

I'm in England and I can't just go to Home Depot and browse through the hardware department McGyvering something together. Hardware stores suck here. If I need another cap or part, I'd like to be able to order it now so I'll have it when I do the install.

Worst case I'll just saw the shaft off, but I'd like to keep my options open in case I ever want to reinstall the mids again. If I cut the shaft off, I'd assume the primary has to come off to put another shaft in.

Thanks...

Old 09-09-2012 | 08:41 AM
fez
Advanced

SteveUSAF , I have a 2010 FXDC and I did the forward controls about a year and a half ago. I DID NOT CUT anything! It isn't necessary and suppose you want to go back to the mid controls? You may want to sell it someday to someone of a shorter stature like a woman. I may go back to a touring bike and give my bike to my wife ! I left the shaft and lever in place and used a Harley accessory head bolt cover from a twin cam. I put a 5/16 socket head bolt in the lever from the pushrod side of the bike and a rubber cap over it to protect the surfaces . It's at least 4000 miles and NO problems. Don't over engineer it, the best modification is one you can reverse at will !

Old 09-09-2012 | 11:41 AM
mcwarren
Cruiser

SteveUSAF, I used one of these when on my 2010 FXDC http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5300012 allowing me to restore mid-controls at a later date https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-question.html

Old 09-09-2012 | 03:49 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Fez and mcwarren, thanks for the input. I'll try to find a head bolt cover for cheap, or if not, then the shifter cap from J&P will do the trick. This whole thing looks to be pretty easy. Thanks...

Old 09-19-2012 | 03:13 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Originally Posted by fez
I am using the stock shifter lever at the trans too. No need to replace with the longer lever in kit.Shifts fine ,no problems!
That's just what I was wondering as I was looking at the longer transmission shift lever in the kit. There's no way to remove the old shorter one without removing the primary. If I understand some other posts correctly, using the original transmission shift lever and the rod that comes with the kit results in a shorter gearshift throw at the shifter peg, and maybe some trouble finding neutral. When you say it shifts fine, does that mean you didn't notice any trouble finding neutral? I've got mine hooked up now (test fitted) to see if everything fits, but haven't ridden it and gone through the gears. It does feel like a little shorter throw, but who knows since I'm used to shifting at a different angle with mids.

Last edited by steveusaf; 09-19-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to add I've got a 2012 FXDC
Old 09-20-2012 | 11:30 AM
fez
Advanced

I have had no problems finding neutral or shifting . I went to the forward controls a at least 4500 miles ago and all is good.

Old 09-20-2012 | 11:33 AM
fez
Advanced

The J&P cap looks better than my headbolt cover.

Old 09-20-2012 | 12:56 PM
dhook57
Cruiser

When you say it shifts fine, does that mean you didn't notice any trouble finding neutral?

I do notice the difference in finding neutral. For me its more difficult now with the longer shaft. Almost aggravating. Had mine on for a couple weeks gonna give it a little more time to get broke in and if it persists might have to try the rear shifter.

Wonder if anyone has replaced the rear shifter and still had difficulty finding neutral.

Old 09-20-2012 | 02:45 PM
steveusaf
Advanced

Well, it's all hooked up now. Everything fit just fine, except the brake rod which was a little tricky hooking it up to the brake pedal - not a perfect fit but it functions just fine. Will take it for a ride tomorrow after I put the mini floorboards on and see how it goes. Thanks fez - hopefully my shifts will be as smooth as yours turned out.

DHook57 - you did not replace the rear-most transmission lever, right? You said difficult now with the longer shaft - I assume you mean the longer rod that connects the shifter and the transmission lever? I'd think that if you used the longer lever with the kit, everything would line up perfectly and you wouldn't have trouble finding neutral.

Hope it feels OK - I am not taking that primary apart to put that longer transmission lever in there....

Quick Reply: Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!