Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 08:06 AM
dwike
Advanced
Default part number

Originally Posted by ltcurt33
You guys are welcome...I did make two videos but the first one was not very good. In the first vid the primary cover was on but I felt the second one gave a better visual of what everything looks like while doing the mod.

THE GUYS HERE ARE RIGHT....YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE PRIMARY COVER AND YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T TO KEEP DIRT, SHAVINGS, ETC OUT OF YOUR PRIMARY. ALSO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRAIN YOUR LUBRICANT BUT I FELT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO GO AHEAD AND DO IT WHILE I HAD THE TIME...I PUT THE PRIMARY COVER BACK ON BEFORE CUTTING AGAIN BUT HAD IT OFF WHILE I SHOT THE VIDEO...

SECOND...POWER SAWS AND OTHER TOOLS CAN BE USED BUT YOU MAY NEED TO JACK THE BIKE UP OR HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT UPRIGHT WHILE USING THEM SO YOU CAN GAIN ACCESS TO THE CUTTING AREA.

LASTLY...THE SLIDE ON CAPS ARE A GOOD IDEA AND I SAW THEM IN THE MULTI FIT SECTION OF TWO DIFFERENT HARLEY DEALERS FOR LIKE $15.00. I will take a photo and provide the Harley Part # when I stop in again.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and if someone see's something that can be done better please post it for everyone to see.

Curt
Curt, I wonder if you ever found the part number for the cap that covers the splines with the mid shifter left on...

Lastly, I've been reading different posts, and with the primary cover not being removed and the inner hole not being sealed, does it not leak fluid? Sorry for my ignorance, it just seems like that hole is going to leak to the motor side of the primary where the shifter was sawed off...

One other thing, is there enough room to wiggle the shifter lever (the one the red connects to on the transmission) off to replace it with the longer one or is this something that the primary would have to come off for?

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Last edited by dwike; 08-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2012 | 12:47 AM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Sorry for my long absence I have been super busy. But I am back!

Nope, no leaks! Works great every time!

Old 04-23-2012 | 11:00 AM
solracg
5th Gear

Anyone go from forward back to mids?

Old 04-23-2012 | 12:17 PM
Rainmakr
Road Master

Great video! Thanks for posting.
Couple of questions...................
If you leave the primary on and cut the spline, and remove the mid controls shifter shaft, is the hole in the outer primary large enough to fit the plug that goes to close off where the shaft went through? (not talking about the chrome cap for the outer primary, but on the inner hole) Also, is there any fluid leaks?

Old 04-23-2012 | 02:04 PM
hdemt
Novice

Anyone know if there is enough room to fit a sawzall in there with a long blade?

Old 04-23-2012 | 06:13 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
Or just do what he did, but leave the cover on. Good video. Perhaps a $15 Harbor Freight air saw (I have one) could have saved a lot of time. I'd definitely start the cut like he did, though. with a hacksaw blade and do like he suggested and apply some tape, I'd recommend duct tape.

The video, with the cover off, just made it easier to see what was going on beneath the outer primary cover. That might have been the intention, in fact he might have mentioned that.

Great video, Itcurt33, so many people on here are asking how to install forwards and words are never enough.

Myself, I just left the shaft in place and put the Kury supplied cap over the splined end and used their supplied clip to hold that arm back behind the rear primary cover.

A flush cap over the outer primary cover would look better for sure, instead of the deep cap like I used, but should I ever change my mind and decide to return to mids, the hardware is still there.

I really appreciate it when people like Itcurt33 take the time to video or document their mods. I'm sure this video will be referenced for years to come.

Great job, Itcurt33!
Got any pics of the Kury forwards installed? The only pic on their site doesn't show the shifter at all.

Old 04-25-2012 | 05:50 AM
vtwinhd59
Tourer

This is why I love you guys and this forum. This is going to save me so much time and aggravation. I'm in the middle of forward controls right now. Thank you so much.

Old 04-25-2012 | 08:46 AM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain

I hope to do mine this weekend, but that's only if I can find the FWDS in stock somewhere local. If I do, I will try to get some HD video to ad to this thread.

Old 04-25-2012 | 08:53 AM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain

Is there a way to put bat mids without removing the. Primary ?

Old 04-26-2012 | 12:32 AM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Just checked again..still no leaks! I did this mod and made this video last year and I haven't had any issues at all.

I never did find that part number but it really doesn't matter. If you put the small paper gasket thing in between the spline holes, assuming you took it apart, line up the spline holes and bolt it on right then there should be no leaks. If you get a leak your gasket is either defective or it fell down in your primary when re-assembling. I had the primary apart for inspection and cleaning. It was my first time looking at the guts on this bike.

Your best bet is to NOT TAKE THE PRIMARY COVER OFF...just cut, remove, install and go!

Who all has done this mod using this video? Show of hands! Any problems?

Last edited by ltcurt33; 04-26-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!