Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011 | 08:26 AM
Piratebonz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Futbol1954
Does anybody know if this procedure WOULD NOT work on a 2011 Dyna? The HD controls kits are different.

Thanks
Futbol, I have a 2011 FXDC, I just did mine last weekend, I did remove the primary, mostly because my nieghbor has the locking bar needed, all gaskets to put it back come in the HD kit, AND it got me out of a shopping trip with my girlfriend and her sister... and I did not see this video prior.

It was time consuming (about 7 hrs total) for a weekend wrencher like me, but not overly difficult, I do have a service manual tho, and would never attempt the long route without it.

Having said that, I would use Curt's excellent video advice if I had it to do it over again. I believe it would work on our bikes. And the cover could stay on there, but Curt had the cover gasket from the HD kit, and with the cover off, it makes for a better video I think.

Those of you planning this, best wishes with your controls, and thank you Curt for the excellent video.
David

Old 06-16-2011 | 12:08 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

You are welcome David.

I stopped in an looked at 2011 Dyna models yesterday and I didn't see any difference so I'd say yes you can do this. Just take the shifter connecting rod off, remove the stock shifter peddle and tap on the rod to make sure you have enough room to cut. You can do this without removing the primary cover. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2011 | 11:56 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Gotta keep this thread fresh...anyone else have pics or vids of the process to show?

Old 07-06-2011 | 07:47 PM
bswearingen
Tourer

first off, thanks for the great thread. I need to ask you guys a question though. If i wanted to not cut but instead just leave there dangling, is there any danger involved in doing so?

Old 07-06-2011 | 08:26 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bswearingen
first off, thanks for the great thread. I need to ask you guys a question though. If i wanted to not cut but instead just leave there dangling, is there any danger involved in doing so?
No harm in leaving it there. Harley sells a cap that was meant to cover the shaft if you take the heel shifter off a bagger. This cap is a perfect cover up for the shaft when converting to forward controls. It looks good and you can snug it up and the unused shaft and linkage is pretty stationary.

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:42 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Default Forwards to Mids

I've actually got forwards on my 2011 Street Bob (I got the dealer to install them when I bought it new), and I want to go back to mids. I'm short and I don't find the forwards very comfortable. Any idea if I could get away with not taking off the primary to go back to mids?

Old 07-07-2011 | 11:24 AM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cthagreekgod
I've actually got forwards on my 2011 Street Bob (I got the dealer to install them when I bought it new), and I want to go back to mids. I'm short and I don't find the forwards very comfortable. Any idea if I could get away with not taking off the primary to go back to mids?
Before doing so think about getting stirtups. I am short too but mids just suck for me. I bought kuryakyn liberator pegs with stirrups and now I have a slight bend to my knee.

Old 07-07-2011 | 11:25 AM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Meant Stirrups...not stirtups. There is nothing smart about a smart phone.

Old 07-07-2011 | 11:27 AM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

And to get the rod back in if its gone if say the primary needs removed. There isn't enough area behind to just slide it in.

Old 07-07-2011 | 01:30 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Default Stirrups

Thanks man. by stirrups do mean like heel rests?

Quick Reply: Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!