Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011 | 01:13 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Here are photos of the cut shifter bar and the Harley Flush Cap for filling in the hold left by removal of the shifter setup. For guys with the wrinkle black primary just know that the Harley Forward Control kit supplies you with 1 Chrome and 1 Vivid Black flush mount cap. You might want to spray the cap wrinkle before installing. Personally, It doesn't look bad to me the way it is as the camera flash made it look more shiny than it really is. I don't notice it much. Also, some of the primary will show around the cap and since it's not painted wrinkle black you get a chrome ring look around the cap. For chrome bikes I don't see an issue.

Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!-2011-05-27-18.45.24.jpgRemove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!-2011-05-27-14.18.45.jpgRemove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!-2011-05-27-18.45.28.jpg

Last edited by ltcurt33; 06-01-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 | 01:39 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

You're an awesome dude, Itcurt33!

Please keep up the good work, you do a great job on the videos and pics, while keeping it short and to the point.

Old 06-02-2011 | 03:02 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

cool mate, I made my own tapered cap out of stainless, will definately pull the shaft (or cut) at the first time i have my primary open, it will certainly look better with out the cap.
I will machine the oval reccessed section and make a cover for that like some of the earlier models had. Wrinkle black it and good to go....

Old 06-02-2011 | 03:52 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by Tat2u
cool mate, I made my own tapered cap out of stainless, will definately pull the shaft (or cut) at the first time i have my primary open, it will certainly look better with out the cap.
I will machine the oval reccessed section and make a cover for that like some of the earlier models had. Wrinkle black it and good to go....
As we were discussing, the outer primary cover doesn't have to be removed. Ummm, maybe you are talking about machining out the outer primary cover surrounding the shaft's now unused hole and making an oval cover, sans hole, to replace it with. Now that is cool! Way beyond most of our abilities and tooling, but one way to make that shaft hole totally disappear.

You must have some great equipment and skills. I could probably cut out the oval and JB Weld it onto the cover...

Old 06-02-2011 | 04:28 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

Yep, was referring to the outer primary cover, Im a fitter/machinist/ welder so no probs throwing the cover on the milling machine, I'd do it in my 10 minute smoko break

Old 06-02-2011 | 05:22 AM
Dingobob
Tourer

Good video and good idea but it only takes about half an hour to have the inner and outer covers on and off, saves on fluid and gaskets though.

Old 06-02-2011 | 07:28 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior

Good video but I'm with dingobob on this one. I can have both covers off in 30 min.

Old 06-02-2011 | 08:58 AM
petersenj20
Novice

Thanks for the video. I need to do this for the Jockey shift.
I think I have seen cut off plates for the total removal of the shaft.

Old 06-02-2011 | 12:42 PM
ltcurt33
|
Cruiser

Daggs...if you can do that I'd like to see photos when you are done..Sounds awesome!

I know some guys can pull the entire primary, slam 5 beers, and have it put back together in 30 min flat.....I'm not that guy...I purchased my first Harley 30 days ago so the cut job was a better idea than tearing it apart with my amateur hands. This mod is meant for the quick fix without tearing everything down. It's effective and better than messing everything up. Plus we all don't have the tools to break down the internals of the primary.

Old 06-02-2011 | 03:27 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

Sure I will, but it could be years away... I ain't pulling it apart until I absolutely have to

Quick Reply: Remove mid controls and install forward controls without removing primary!!!