Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted handle bar riser!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:46 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
I did have the bars turn against the stop when I was trying to twist them straight.
I've had the same problem with risers causing the bars to misalign with the upper tree and forks. I'd sight down them, loosen everything up, retorque and they'd still be crooked. I had a girlfriend sit on the bike and twist the bars to the locks and sight down the bars while I tightened things up. Still crooked.

I, too had cheap risers, I think the bolt holes are machined off centerline a bit, so no amount of twisting and torquing will make them right. I even tried switching them side to side to see it they would even out, but that didn't help, either.

The twist didn't really bother me when riding, but that didn't matter, I wanted them straight. I finally bought T-bars to match their ergos and they aren't cast, so I now have straight bars and a cleaner look.

I just never imagined that risers could be that brittle and snap. I didn't know that they were castings either, probably made in China.

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:55 AM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

So got my new risers on. Same style and hight 4". The new ones feel even cheaper lol great. And not China made in Tiawan is that any better lol! Yeah they are rubber mounted. I think next set I will pull the rubber bushings out. I think I got them straight but tomorrows ride to work will test that.

Old 06-01-2011 | 05:19 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

So got my new risers on. Same style and hight 4". The new ones feel even cheaper lol great. And not China made in Tiawan is that any better lol! Yeah they are rubber mounted. I think next set I will pull the rubber bushings out. I think I got them straight but tomorrows ride to work will test that.
You can buy poly riser bushings at J&P Cycles for about $10, check out their #500021. I bought a set of them and am very happy. When using risers, anything over stock needs a bit more firmness.

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:05 PM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

Sounds good. Yeah the stock rubber ones are soft as hell. Ride into work today was fun but bars still are bent. They slop down to the right. I bet a new set of bushings will cure this. Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-02-2011 | 01:50 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Sounds good. Yeah the stock rubber ones are soft as hell. Ride into work today was fun but bars still are bent. They slop down to the right. I bet a new set of bushings will cure this. Thanks for the tips!
No, I doubt if stiffer bushings will help with the alignment, I think that it's a problem with the riser bolt holes being misaligned to begin with. Both of my cheap risers had the same issue, it just gets more pronounced the taller they are.

Old 06-02-2011 | 02:16 PM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

Really? Ah crap! They are cheap *** ones. 4" tall. The goofy thing is I can push the bars straight easy but once I drive they mush back to the right just a tad to drive a guy crazy lol! I might give those bushings a shot still. Could I just run no bushing but use the same bolts and washer? Might try this too.

Old 06-02-2011 | 02:39 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you thought about going to taller bars and switching back to stock 1" risers? (if you switch to 1" risers, you'll all but eliminate the misalignment problems you're encountering)
Your's isnt the first I've seen, and probably wont be the last. There was one recently in the softail section than broke the 1/2" bolt while he was riding. Luckily, nobody I know has gone down over this, and I hope like hell nobody does.

If you want to run solid mount without the bushing, you'll have to add a steel bushing around the bolt where it goes through the top tree. If you dont, you will end up with a wiggle wagon thats damn near impossible to ride.

Old 06-03-2011 | 12:48 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

If you already have your rise/width/pullback ergos figured out, just buy some T-bars to match that. All of my T-bars aligned. I went through 2 riser heights and 3 drag bar widths until I found happiness, other than they were cocked to one side. The T's were straight.

Old 06-09-2011 | 01:13 AM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the tips guys. I did think about going to a shorter riser about a 2". The hieght it darn near perfect for me being 6'4". This bar setup was on the bike when I got it. Kinda odd a 4" riser and 10" apes looks goofy I think but feels great. Thanks again everyone!