Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Kanzig
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dealing with this exact issue right now and my bike is in the shop being fixed. Getting the reference number was easy, just call the number and explain your problem and they should give you one. Bring the bike to the dealer, explain the issue to them and give them the reference number and then sit and curse while the weather turns awesome and your bike is being worked on.

When I spoke to the technician at my dealer I asked if this is something I have to worry about happening again. He said no, the bearing being put in is an upgraded bearing but I suspect that will just prolong the issue from happening again, not solve it. We shall see.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are suppose to tear into bike today. Service manager is saying the MOCO told him there is an extended warranty on the bike (previous owner must have purchased it), and he mentioned I should try to get it switched to me. The warranty is up in 5 days, but he told me if I bring the transfer form to him, he might be able to get it pushed through instead of having it sent to Arizona. He told me it might be a good idea to exhaust this approach before going through MOCO, as they can be tough to deal with.
I have a feeling this is not gonna go well for me as far as MOCO covering the repair.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

i thought it was a done deal with the 'reference number'?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

I'm not sure how it works. I know they need to tear the bike down, then they will contact MOCO and take it from there.
As far as the extended warranty, the dealer just figures we should exhaust this option before pulling teeth with MOCO. I don't think the extended warranty will fly for me, but I know the guy I bought the bike from and will have him sign the transfer tonight, if the dealer can push it through, fine. But I have a feeling it needs to go to Arizona for the transfer to take place, and there are only 5 days left on the warranty so time is slim.
If it is the inner primary bearing, they better cover it, they've covered it in the past for others.... And it is their mess up, not the customers.... Damn bike only has 6500 miles on it, it's a shame.

Last edited by Galdog; 06-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

good luck, bro'...

Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

This ordeal has unraveled into a great story....

The day after I dropped the bike off at Indy West HD on June 1st, I get a call from the service manager, mentioning there is an extended warranty on my bike. I didn't know anything about this (I bought the bike from original owner in October). Well, after some more discussions and help from the dealer, the warranty (which is up June 7th) was switched to my name Friday, June 3rd. The manager told me, let's try to use the warranty before fighting with MOCO. Saturday, June 4th, I get another call from the service department. The inner bearing and race are shot and the extended warranty will cover the bearing replacement! And Indy West mentioned they would call MOCO Monday, June 6th about having my tranny case and inner primary case updated to 2007 specs. I had my doubts, especially after the warranty people said they would pay for the bearing repair (figured MOCO would skate out of it with no charge against them). Well, I get a call from Indy West today, MOCO has authorized Indy West to update my cases so the bearing issue will be a mute subject in the future!!!!! The bike should be done in 1-2 weeks.
I am updating the primary chain tensioner to the new beefier model. I am also thinking about extending the warranty (does anyone know how much these things cost?).
Just wanna say, Indy West Harley Davidson was great! I wouldn't have known about the warranty without them, and wouldn't have had it switched in time if they didn't help me out at their office. And then getting MOCO to update the cases was just icing on the cake! Pretty cool people there, even got a call the other day from the manager asking who did all the mods to my bike, he said it's one nice Dyna. That was cool considering all the bikes they see.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

While they're in there have them look at the stator. In 06 it was a two peice and the bolts can come loose. It's not as common a problem but I believe Harley updated that part for 07 as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

dude - that's great to hear. I had the same problem on my bike and they replaced my bearing three times... The first bearing went bad at 11,000 miles, and then each of the other two bearing went at approx 1,200 miles each. They replaced my cases, and I've not heard a peep out of it. The case swap is definitely the only real fix... all of you guys that have this problem - push for the case swap! The right dealer will do it on the MOCO's dime.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

Stopped by dealer today to check on bike, they had just finished it. New tranny and inner primary case, replaced bearing and race, all gaskets and o-rings. All I paid was a $50 deductible, and $90 for the new updated primary chain tensioner. They had the bike two weeks to the day!
Rode it a few times today, shifts smoother, quiet! After reading the work sheet, I seen they put regular oil in the engine (was running synthetic), and Formula + in the tranny and primary. I just changed it to Mobil 1 V Twin 20w50, and Mobil 1 75w140 in the tranny, left the Formula + in the primary.
MOCO and Indy west treated me very well!