Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway pegs and a broken bolt....WTF.. Over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
nichiowa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway pegs and a broken bolt....WTF.. Over?

So I bought the drag specialties highway mount and installed them today. To my surprise I was threading in a bolt, half way it started to bind and I tried to loosen....SNAP and a few choice words were all that was heard. SO I have a bolt broke off in the forward control mount and no way to get it out. I am stationed in Germany so running down to the Home Depot is out of the question. As of right now I have them installed with the broken bolt as an "alignment" bolt and the second bolt securing it. So maybe next week I will have an update, as for now I am going to a 3 day H.O.G. rally and need the pegs. Well just needed to vent and I can't see why the mount wouldn't be fine for a week, ya think?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it got cross-threaded, or wrong hardware. Gonna have to drill it out from the sounds of things. if you're gonna run with just 1 fastening bolt and that as a guide, I would check it regularly as it will cause much more stress on the good bolt. Fix it as soon as you can.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
nichiowa
Tourer

Well I can vouch for the right hardware as the other 3 bolts are just fine. As for the cross threading I am pretty sure that wasn't the problem. When I pulled the plastic caps off that plug the holes it was a little corroded, so I ran the bolt in as a chaser and it took a little but was just fine. I think that a piece of a thread or something broke off. This is pretty bad timing so I am going to try to figure something out.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 PM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet if you look in the hole when you get it out you will see some weld splatter near the bottom. And that's what gave you the problem.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM
nichiowa
Tourer

Do you think the threads can be salvaged with a tap?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

You can try drilling and using a little bit of heat and a easy out you may salvage the threads but not to much heat you don't want the broken bolt to get to hot.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really need to get the bolt out, drill it and use an easyout. Only use heat if its a last resort. The last thing I'd want is a soft spot in the frame near the motor mount.

As far as using the broken bolt as an alignment pin, its OK to do so. Harley sets their highway pegs up in that manner with one bolt holding the bracket in place. Just use blue loctite (not red) on the retaining bolt. theres no stress on the bolt so you dont have to worry about it backing out.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by nichiowa
So I bought the drag specialties highway mount and installed them today. To my surprise I was threading in a bolt, half way it started to bind and I tried to loosen....SNAP and a few choice words were all that was heard. SO I have a bolt broke off in the forward control mount and no way to get it out. I am stationed in Germany so running down to the Home Depot is out of the question. As of right now I have them installed with the broken bolt as an "alignment" bolt and the second bolt securing it. So maybe next week I will have an update, as for now I am going to a 3 day H.O.G. rally and need the pegs. Well just needed to vent and I can't see why the mount wouldn't be fine for a week, ya think?
What you describe sounds like the thread galled causing the bolt to seize. I doubt you'll be able to use an easy out to extract the remaning bolt, but give it a try. Might have to drill it out and use a Heli-Coil kit to repair it.
The rust in that thread probably caused the problem, Anti-Seize can help in this situation.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM
nichiowa
Tourer

Thanks to everyone for opinions and help. I hope that I do not have to use the helicoil option as it has never settled well with me, I know that there is nothing wrong with it but its just me.