Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who commutes an hour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006 | 06:52 PM
Coyote72
|
Advanced
Default who commutes an hour?

I'm starting my new job next week and I am going to be commuting an hour each way....I'm a Rep so i have to carry samples and brochures......
My choices:
Sell bike and truck and get a good MPG car or
Keep bike and truck and add some bags and sissy bar for work crap.... I live in San diego and commute North..... Sorry guys, but the weather will be mostly nice throughout the year....

Let me know if I'm crazy for driving the So Cal Freeways everyday or if I should just do the right thing and sell all.... Don't really want to do that....
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:10 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Default RE: who commutes an hour?

Sell the truck if you have to make a choice. Using the bike as your daily commuter can get tiring and the occasional rain isn't any fun. I used to commute from LI NY to Brooklyn NY (55 miles each way). I loved it. but always looked forward to the four wheeler on those days when you just wanted to put it on auto pilot. Also if you have to take clients to lunch/dinner that could get interesting with the FXD. Bottom line KEEP THE BIKE and pick up a slightly used civic. - GeorgeJ

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:23 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

i commute a hr each way to.put some bags on it or put a tourpak on it.

Name:  finishproduct.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  40.1 KB

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:34 PM
waterman7474
Road Master

i know lots of reps, most dump the nice cars and get a taurus or some other "rental car" and put the miles on that. usually, those aren't worth much at the end of their life anyway so excess milage doesn't mean much. just find something that has decent reliablility and crap resale. like he said, a used accord or any honda isn't a bad idea either.

w/ the weather the way it is, you'll hate yourself for selling the scooter.

and only a 1hr commute in socal.........consider yourself one of the chosen few.

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:45 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

Don't sell the bike. Or if you do, trade it in on a UC.

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:50 PM
rockdoc
Tourer

KEEP THE BIKE!

I commute about an hour each way (Seattle freeway traffic, lots of rain). You will become one with the HOV lanes - cuts off quite a bit of time for me. My other vehicle is a Suburban so I really think hard about driving it in - has to be raining pretty well. Get yourself some bags or a tourpack. As for the truck....hard choice but KEEP THE BIKE!

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:51 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I am a electrical inspector and use the bike every good day, somedays do 150 plus miles, prolly ave 100.

But now with weather using truck more and more

Old 10-30-2006 | 08:28 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

I commute anywhere from 2 miles to 70 miles each way every day.
I used to commute 35 miles each way, but have a new job now.

Big bags from leatherworks and a sissybar with a huge bag if needed otherwise a backpack with laptop in it bungeed to it.

I ride every day to work, rain or shine. I only take the truck when I have to carry something too big for the bike.

Its better than coffee in the morning and better than a drink when the day is over!

Old 10-30-2006 | 08:53 PM
misterrick
Cruiser

I do the hour commute each way every day. Ive done it for the last 6yrs. I would never think of getting rid of my bike. Just makes me be more creative on ways to put my stuff on my bike.

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:49 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

I make the ride every day for an hour...used to have the grand prix to drive and save the miles on the truck...now I have the bike w/bags (which I have to carry a laptop) for the ride next summer and the truck in the winter.

Quick Reply: who commutes an hour?