Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Shots, loud pops on decel

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default V&H Big Shots, loud pops on decel

I used to have V&H straightshots and all was fine, i install V&H big shots staggered, and now when i decel from a little acceleration i get lots of pops and some are pretty loud, How can i eliminate this, is my carb to lean or rich, not sure what direction to take to cure

I do have a screaming eagle air cleaner.and a Dynojet kit installed and bike run perfect until i changed out the pipes, both pipes had the same stock V&H baffles

Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM
clownbaby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try replacing the exhaust gaskets. I had this problem but i also shot out blue flames which was kind of cool. Anyway it fixed it for me. Cheap place to start.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

THX , will give it a try, mayybe upgrade to SE gaskets

Rob

Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
fendrjgstng94
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clownbaby
Try replacing the exhaust gaskets. I had this problem but i also shot out blue flames which was kind of cool. Anyway it fixed it for me. Cheap place to start.

mine does the same. a buddy of mine says the bike could be running rich

Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Plugs look clean, so not sure about running rich, but thx

Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is either lean on the idle jet or you have an exhaust leak. Make sure your pipes are seated right and the there isnt a leak. If it's ok then back out the air idle screw 1 turn and that will richen up the closed throttle mixture.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

i have the air idle screw backed out 3.5 turns as per the dynojet install manual, do i need to go out more.The pops can get pretty loud, more like an explosion in the pipes on decel

Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser

3.5 is on the upper end of whats useable for the idle jet. You can try another turn to get to 4.5 but you are pretty much open as it is. The next step is to go up on the pilot jet one size or two. One size and try 3 turns or two sizes and try 2 turns out from seated. From what you say and where you live I would go up two sizes and start at two turns. Cheap fix if you know how to change the jets which is easy. Now if you have decel pop and you have the throttle open from 1% to 33% you should shim the needle. Which is putting a shim under the needle which raises it out of the main jet giving it more fuel from......you guessed it 1% to 33% opening. After 33% or so its all main jet and the venturi takes over. I have heard of people complaining about the dyno jet needle but I live at 5500 ft elevation. If you've never changed jets, dive in. It is fun learning how it all works.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser

I read your post again. "explosion" makes me think air leak at the head pipe. Did you take out to old exhaust gaskets? You didnt leave them in there and doule stack them did you? Loosten your whole exhaust system and wiggle it into the head more. maybe you tightened the muffler first then the head pipe causing a gap? Quick "pops" lead me to believe a lean condition. Big "bangs" far apart sound like an air leak. Does the bie have a bad on/off throttle jerk? Like in the middle of a turn can you get back to the gas smoothly? Yes? the jetting is good. No, it jerks, the air idle is lean.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser

Put a set of torque cones in the head pipes, had the same problem with mine, just sold my BS to a forum member on here, they help get rid of the decel pop by speeding up the exhaust velocity at the head, which intern prevents reversion. They will run you around $15 and work wonders!

Quick Reply: V&H Big Shots, loud pops on decel