Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

I have no problem at all with EFI, and I'm sure I'll have it one day, but I'm happy with my carb. I live in the deep South, so I don't deal with harsh winters (and the bike never sits for long), but mine fires upquickly every time, and I sort of like dealing with the choke/enricher. Kind of a comfort ritual or something. I also like the low idle, especially on a Dyna with the engine dancing. I get good mileage, too. I think the sixth gear helps the newer bikes get good mileage more than the EFI, but that's just a hunch. I also like having a reserve. As for the mountains, burning low octane fuel seems to help there.

I prefer EFI in cars, trucks, and (especially) boats, but I like the old school feel of my bike with the carb.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't like Fi because it's invisable. You can't tweak it, adjust it......I mean you can trick it with in-line fuel management devices, but still not like you can adjust, tweak, see, and feel adjustments on a carb.

The bikes run fine with them, though set up way too lean in the name of being "EPA-friendly." Plus, there are known instances of electronic interference from another part of the bike causing erratic operation - though rare.

If I were the Engineering Chief at the MoCo, I would return to carbs immediately. Set them up from the factory to run just as lean as they want, then let the customer dial in their own preferences. If they fail inspection, then it's their own problem. Why Harley has to play "Big Brother" with these FI systems that are "for our own good" is beyond me, and contradictory to what the whole MoCo was built on in the first place.

my 2 c's

Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
ChrisA351
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever try tuning a turbo with a carb? Yes sir I have!!!

Ran a 357 Windsor 89 GT with a 76MMGTS turbo. It was a blowthrough setup ona HolleyHP 950.

I built the whole setup from scratch in my garage. On 7 Psi it ran 11.0 @ 119 on pump gas

It ran good but you should have seen the air fuel ratio curve on the dyno...awful.

If that car would have had fuel injection It would have been 100% better.

FI is the future and is 100% better without question unless you are running a carb for nostalgia.

I am happy my bike is FI and it starts up cold every time without issue.

Still have a carb on the drag car though...probably always will.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

I'll keep my carb. I don't get this cold start thing may are talking about. I ride to work in the mornings in the winter when it's in the low 30's or high 20's. Pull the choke, hit the start button, let it warm up a minute or so & ride off. What is so hard about that?! After a mile or so push the choke in & ride on.

Yes, you can fine tune fuel delivery better at any point on an EFI bike IF you can find a competant tuner or IF you know how to do it yourself. I've ridden at high altitudes, never noticed any issue with my 44CV carb. & prefer the simplicity of a carb.

No mechanical reserve with EFI. Plenty of things to go wrong with the EFI "system".

Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like them both. EFI is easy to ride, not to hard to manipulate one way or ta other, and has a multidude of tunning options you can dick with, (or not).
On the other hand, all that **** about "just fired right up", while true, confuses me.
My carbed (S & S shorty) FLT ALWAYS fired right up, it wasnt my favorite bike and I got rid of it, but not for starting issues.
My FXRP with S & S b with add on accelerator pump and extra fuel call (cant remember what you call em), fired up EVERY time first crank with a vengance.
Only issues I had was once they did away with the kick, starting on a low battery. Miss the kick back up.
My opine, if your carbed bike isnt starting right something is wrong with it.
I mis the old sound too but its a fair trade off.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 AM
BoomSoon
Tourer

What's a carberateur? Heehee. Seriously, being a first-time HD owner I really don't care. I love what I have. EFI rocks.Push RUN, Push START, GO. Ride Safe

[IMG]local://upfiles/54962/A854F83B559644388EA44BC1560C7360.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54962/30FABE91386047AD9585572A1955B960.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Critter174
Road Captain

I think i will stay with my carb for as long as i can , yes i know one day i may have to go to fi but i'm in no rush. I like it cause of it's simplicity, never have had any problems i couldn't fix by the road if i had to. There is just so much more that can go wrong with fi , don't mean it will go wrong but if it does, and last but not least is cost i can do all the upgrades i wantwith just a matter of changing some jets and i'm ready to go. So for me just a lot less confusion to have to deal with so that equals more riding time in my book.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser

Yeah I love my EFI. When I first started riding, I was using my bro's old 92 sporty which was carbed. It was a pain in the *** just to start and wait since my brothers weren't particularly patient. I'd usually end up playing catchup.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 AM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate fuelie bikes. they start cold, idle, and don't foul plugs.... no fair!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:12 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my vote is
I hate efi
love my carb twist the throttle once and it starts from cold and ready to ride
mileage mid to high 40s
if something happens on the rode good chance I can fix it quickly without having to carry a laptop. parts are much cheaper and easier to replace
also an old guy that mechaniced for many years on efi cars and trouble shooting is a bitch..
once again my vote CARB..............................

Quick Reply: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?