Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

my last three carbed bikes I bought a jet kit, took it to somebody who knows what they're doing, left them for a day, and they were done
What's the difference between doing that and dropping your EFI bike off at the dyno tuner?
$500

Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyno tuning is typically $150-$200 where I live.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: clayman

I just checked and from what i can tell the lowest rpm is 904 at 196 degrees, i havnt touched this map it was given to me by another HDF member.
That is the DEFAULT setting. Click on that cell in the column and then click on the decrement bottun up top. You don't have to be plugged into the bike or save what you change, but you can play around and see what you can do and where. Then when you are ready to make changes you know right where to go.

Or you can sit in the house and make up different cal files you'd like to try and call then different things, and then one nice day download and try them.

Just be cautious of DETONATION!

I wish the SE software wasn't so primitive. I am used to adjust on the fly stuff. At work we can be at 8000 RPM WOT on an engine and manipulate anything we need to. Be we have $5 million in test equipment to safeguard against doing anything to stupid (well for most of us).

Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigC

Dyno tuning is typically $150-$200 where I live.
You know I was telling my wife last night I wish I could get a dyno and do this for people for about $100 a crack. You supply the SERT and I will supply the laptop.

With my 9 years hands on experience on dynos, plus my 10 on EFI prior to that I feel I could make a lot of EFI owners happy.

If we move out of Michigan I may make the investment. 10 bikes a month would be fine for me for the overhead and cash to do my own mods, then I can do a DBA and my bike will be a DEMO and a write off [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 PM
clayman
Road Master

Sounds like a great plan beage, ever thought of CANADA....LOL

Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

I have an 03 RK Classic with FI, and it has been trouble from day one! Its been to 4 dealers here in KC and none of them can figure it out. Ive replaced everything, and I mean everything from the fuel tank gutts to every sensor, coil, wires, speed sensor, intake gaskets, PCIII usb, copression test, leak down test, You name it Ive done it. My bike has a low speed miss and an uneven idle which is coming from the rear jug. Front jug is dead nuts. I have spent more time messing with maps and dyno time, testing the wire harness, new injectors, time on the internet looking for clues ratherthanon the road.My buddy has a 99 FLH carb, And he is out riding while Im trying to get mine to run. His fires it right up with a little choke when its cold, pushes it in in about 20 seconds and go's. He's been from KC to Stugis to Wyoming and back and his bike ran like a champ. Im converting mine to carb. I know what you are saying " Youre Nuts" but im at witts end with it and tired of spending all my time and moneytrying to find some one who know a s**t about EFI. Dont get me wrong, Im all in favor of EFI andI understand how it works and how to tune it. I have anelectonics degree and work for Northrop Grumman taking caremillions of dollars worth of high end servers for the goverment, but efi and my bike do not get along.Call me CRAZY but imoff to put on 100 year old technology on my RK.

ZZ

Old 04-21-2007, 12:41 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost of modification, any carbed bike can be rejetted, with a jet kit for half the cost of the cheapest digital tuner, if you know which jets to buy it can be done for around $20.Fi also adds unnecessary complication to what should be a very simple design.I can rejet one carb but the instructions for my DFO which is supposed to be one of the simplest tuners out there look like they're missing pages.I hate Fi and I wish I could say I'll never buy another Fi bike but damn near every thing is fi now.The Triumph Bonnie still has carbs maybe I'll ****** one of those up before it's too late.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 AM
badherb
Road Captain

I don't like FI. tunability period.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:15 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Try getting rid of the PCIII.

mud

ORIGINAL: zzmellio

I have an 03 RK Classic with FI, and it has been trouble from day one! Its been to 4 dealers here in KC and none of them can figure it out. Ive replaced everything, and I mean everything from the fuel tank gutts to every sensor, coil, wires, speed sensor, intake gaskets, PCIII usb, copression test, leak down test, You name it Ive done it. My bike has a low speed miss and an uneven idle which is coming from the rear jug. Front jug is dead nuts. I have spent more time messing with maps and dyno time, testing the wire harness, new injectors, time on the internet looking for clues ratherthanon the road.My buddy has a 99 FLH carb, And he is out riding while Im trying to get mine to run. His fires it right up with a little choke when its cold, pushes it in in about 20 seconds and go's. He's been from KC to Stugis to Wyoming and back and his bike ran like a champ. Im converting mine to carb. I know what you are saying " Youre Nuts" but im at witts end with it and tired of spending all my time and moneytrying to find some one who know a s**t about EFI. Dont get me wrong, Im all in favor of EFI andI understand how it works and how to tune it. I have anelectonics degree and work for Northrop Grumman taking caremillions of dollars worth of high end servers for the goverment, but efi and my bike do not get along.Call me CRAZY but imoff to put on 100 year old technology on my RK.

ZZ

Old 04-21-2007, 01:17 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: badherb

I don't like FI.

tunability period.
Got SERT??

If not, why not??

mud

Quick Reply: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?