Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?

I absolutely HATE fuel injection.

I also think that electric starters are for pussies. Give me a knee-breaking kick pedal any day!

And while I'm on the subject, what's up with disc brakes? All they seem to do is slow you down.

And please drop the turn signals. Jeez... if I want to turn right or left, that's MY business.

(Seriously... I my '04 FXDX was carb'ed and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that. Having to play the "enrichner ballet" on those cold mornings got VERY old.)

Old 10-30-2006, 08:59 PM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a a carborated sportster before I had my EFI Dyna, and they were both '06s, and I much prefer the EFI better. No more adjusting the choke to get it going or forgeting to push it in. I loved it when cars went to EFI, why would having it on a bike be worse?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had EFI on my metric, and it was sweet. I have a carb'd bike now, and I would vote for EFI.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

YA! My dad said that in the old days they didn't have engines and had to push their bikes to school, uphill, in BOTH directions! No those were the good old days!!!
ORIGINAL: TowJam

I absolutely HATE fuel injection.

I also think that electric starters are for pussies. Give me a knee-breaking kick pedal any day!

And while I'm on the subject, what's up with disc brakes? All they seem to do is slow you down.

And please drop the turn signals. Jeez... if I want to turn right or left, that's MY business.

(Seriously... I my '04 FXDX was carb'ed and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that. Having to play the "enrichner ballet" on those cold mornings got VERY old.)

Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

EFI rules, My Carb buddies gave me hard time about EFI........ until they saw the Dyna fuel curve on my bike, and what I could do with 5 seconds and a push of a button, on my TFI.

We will love water cooled engines in 2010, also.

DougJ

Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

efi rocks. i have had a ton of bikes with carbs.none ever stated good,if at all,when it got cold (winter). efi,one toch,you up and running.did i mention about carbs gumming up ? not more with efi.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Carbs make good DOOR STOPS!

I owned both a carb and EFI snowmobile at the same time...carbs are useless IMO. And I grew up on carbs but learned EFI when it was coming into it's own. I went through the EFI growing pains with all the car companies. But I stuck with it and learned it's advantages.

Now I do calibrations and all the other fun stuff with EFI for a living.

People dislike what they don't understand.

And as for the "Potato Potato" sound...if you know how to calibrate EFI, it should sound the same. BUT RUN MUCH BETTER! Mine makes the potato sound, ask my 6 year old.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

g'day from ozzie-land,
When I opened this post I would have bet big dollars that 80% would hate EFI. I'm shocked. You can't even adjust the idle speed, (withour a computer),
jeeeez, where are all the mechanics out there? no reserve tap, a huge amount of posts about PC111 and sert difficulties, a fuel pump in ya tank. I know I'm a dinosaur and I realise that many owners are not good with tools and just want to ride. Guess I'm from the old do it yourself school. And that's what most motorcyclist used, (had), to be. As the last T-Rex would have said as the astoriod crashed into the earth 65 million years ago.... " I guess we dinosaurs are a dying breed ..... duck for cover".

graham.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get me started.

This is my first EFI bike and I hate it.Who couldn't tune 1 carbuerator? Sure EFI works great if you want to leave it stock or want to spend hours tweaking your FI map with a laptop but I don"t.I bought the piece of crap Revtech DFO on the recomendation of three independant tuners who loved them on other bikes but it's borderline useless on my Dyna.It seems the only way I'll ever get rid of the constant backfiring, no not popping, backfiring on decel is to buy another tuner and start over.In contrast, my last three carbed bikes I bought a jet kit, took it to somebody who knows what they're doing, left them for a day, and they were done.Other than routine maintenance like carb syncs for multi carb bikes I never had to mess with them again.My last one lung dirt bike with one carb I could rejet it in minutes without even taking the carb off the bike.My FI dynas been back in the shop three times where I get responses like "it's normal"they all do that" or my favorite "if you'd just ride it like a motorcycle" whatever that means.Sometimes I get so fed up with the FI on my Dyna I'd happily trade it straight across for a carbed Sportster 1200R.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I love EFI! I spent $2500 for Edelbrock EFI for my old truck and it was worth every single penny.

If anybody wants their EFI bike to idle like a carb, just drop the idle speed on your SERT 100-200rpm. Make sure it's not too low as to effect oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Who Doesn't Like Fuel Injection and Why?