Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prices going down

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
02glide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prices going down

Seems to me that the scoots arent holding the values like they once did. Any reasons for this besides shaky economy?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Default RE: prices going down

The used ones in Central Illinois seem to hold a good price. I see a lot of used ones with prices almost identical to new ones. Granted most of these used ones have boat loads of custom work sunk into them. Where do you live?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,999 Likes on 2,097 Posts

ORIGINAL: 02glide

Seems to me that the scoots arent holding the values like they once did.

Any reasons for this besides shaky economy?
Economy is not shaky. Never been better.

Markets flooded with machines.

They are selling a million $ worth every month at ONE of the dealerships in my town.

They are building a fourth store here now.

mud

Old 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaky economy??? The economy is better than it has been in 30 years! If bikes are not holding their value, it's because people are making more money and are buying new bikes instead of used. I went shopping recently and was originally looking for a used bike and it wouldn't cost much more to go new, so I did.

A similar thing is happening in the automobile industry. There is a huge turnover in cars because more and more people are leasing. They end up keeping a car for 24 to 36 months when, if they had purchased the car, they would have kept it much longer. This makes a glut in the used car market and you can get pretty good deals. It only will get worse because people can get into much more car than they could normally afford by leasing because of the smaller monthly payment.

Seems to me that the scoots arent holding the values like they once did. Any reasons for this besides shaky economy?

Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey mud, we were writing a response at the same time and came up with the same assesment. Great minds think alike and apparently have similar great taste in bikes. Nice Bob!
ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

Seems to me that the scoots arent holding the values like they once did.

Any reasons for this besides shaky economy?
Economy is not shaky. Never been better.

Markets flooded with machines.

They are selling a million $ worth every month at ONE of the dealerships in my town.

They are building a fourth store here now.

mud

Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Man, where are all you guys at? I want to live there.

The economy in Michigan is THE WORST in the nation. We lead in unemployment and falling house values, plus the amont of homes being repossed is our new #1 claim to fame.

Personally, our household income is down 50% from 5 years ago! My wife will be down 60% this year alone and will be unemployed in about 3 weeks. FoMoCo is sucking, and it is hitting us hard. We have sold all our toys and trailers except for the bike. May be leaving the state with the rest of the smart ones. I keep hearing the economy is so great...but in this state it isn't. At least with the WWW you know that it's not the whole country, like in the 80's when you couldn't see what was happening elsewhere with the click of a mouse.

Anyhow, the bike values. Yeah, I noticed looking in Cycle Trader and on fleabay that HD used prices aren't what they used to be. But MoCo builds alot more bikes now, you don't have to wait 18 months to HOPEFULLY get the bike you want. You don't have to wait in line at a dealer to draw a lottery for the OK to leave a deposit like in the mid 90's.

Now there are 2006 bikes left all over that can be had at up to $3000 UNDER MSRP. Sorta makes it hard to move a used scoot I would think.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
daddiokool
Advanced

Yep that's it .. the market is flooded with Harley's... therefore your prices should drop on resale!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm sorry it is so bad there. I hope it turns around for you soon. I think it is regional. But, who is that on the bike? If she belongs to you, you should count your blessings. I would live out of a box with her!!! Good luck! (I mean it).
ORIGINAL: Beagle1

Man, where are all you guys at? I want to live there.

The economy in Michigan is THE WORST in the nation. We lead in unemployment and falling house values, plus the amont of homes being repossed is our new #1 claim to fame.

Personally, our household income is down 50% from 5 years ago! My wife will be down 60% this year alone and will be unemployed in about 3 weeks. FoMoCo is sucking, and it is hitting us hard. We have sold all our toys and trailers except for the bike. May be leaving the state with the rest of the smart ones. I keep hearing the economy is so great...but in this state it isn't. At least with the WWW you know that it's not the whole country, like in the 80's when you couldn't see what was happening elsewhere with the click of a mouse.

Anyhow, the bike values. Yeah, I noticed looking in Cycle Trader and on fleabay that HD used prices aren't what they used to be. But MoCo builds alot more bikes now, you don't have to wait 18 months to HOPEFULLY get the bike you want. You don't have to wait in line at a dealer to draw a lottery for the OK to leave a deposit like in the mid 90's.

Now there are 2006 bikes left all over that can be had at up to $3000 UNDER MSRP. Sorta makes it hard to move a used scoot I would think.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

I'm sorry it is so bad there. I hope it turns around for you soon. I think it is regional. But, who is that on the bike? If she belongs to you, you should count your blessings. I would live out of a box with her!!! Good luck! (I mean it).
Thank you very much! For all of it. And I do count my blessings. She is a wonderful wife & mother.

That is my wife on the bike. She wants her own HD so bad, and at the same time will be unemployed real soon here. We are not sure what we are going to do at this point. She is wanting to get certified in personal training and pursue that.

IF she does, I am behind her 100%. Knowing what you want to do is 1/2 the battle. We can survive decent on my pay alone, just no extras. If I can pinch some OT, there will be little change in lifestyle, just no new purchases. If it comes down to having to sell anything else...we are out of here. The local Detroit papers are always doing stories on people packing up and moving. It really bothers me to have less extra $$$ now that 15 years ago. And MANY fewer toys.

Hey, maybe I should start a "Get out of Michigan" moving company [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Beagle, what do you do now for a living?

Quick Reply: prices going down