Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prices going down

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prices going down

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Beagle, what do you do now for a living?
Dyno Technician. I run prototype engines for a Global Company doing ECU cals. I make decent pay for the area and have great bennys.

My job is booming and I worked all weekend. Next one too probably. Luckily when I saw the wanring signs I sold the snowmobiles and the 24ft car Trailer. I based our household of my pay for 40 hrs. And I run it like a business. I used to do Technical Writing too. But hated cubical life.

My wife was/is in car sales at a Ford dealer...in off all places. DEARBORN!!! Home of Ford. You can't sell a Ford in Dearborn anymore.

She has been there 16 years. Her title was Lease Renewal Manager. But FoMoCo is closing Ford Credit Co. here in Michigan. And leases are being handled by a 3rd party independant company now, which will obsolete her job. There are thousands around here much worse off than we are. I mean we aren't going to starve, my little one can still do Karate, and the wife and I can get out for a date night. Just can't run "Up north" whenever we want, no snowmobiling, no car trailer for the Mustang (last thing to sell if needed), no family dinners at Applebee's...and worst of all; no Night Rod for my wife if she can't find an equal paying job.

5 years ago she made 50% more than me. Now 50% less...

-Ron

Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

IMO two things are driving this: The MoCo is buliding nearly enough bikes to keep up with demand and, with all the cool new stuff on the '07s (96" motor, six-speed gear box, etc), our Evos and TCs seem... dull. I expect to see Shovels and Knucks, and maybe Pans, climb in value while Evos and pre '07 TCs drop.

Beagle, sorry to hear about your present plight. This too shall pass and you'll be a better man on the other end of it. Hang in there!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:19 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she, or you are skilled at sales, send me a private message and I will write you back. I run a national company and am always looking for good sales people. We deal exclusively with doctor's offices. Good luck, whatever you do. I'm sure things will turn around for you. You sound like good family people and I believe that God will always provide!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Seems to me that the scoots arent holding the values like they once did. Any reasons for this besides shaky economy?
Don't know about this shaky economy you're referring to.

Scoots aren't holding their value as well as in years past because supply has met demand. They make more bikes now than they ever have.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

Begal1

Keep in mind that your wife has some experience in lending, that most banks would look to hire her. I would look at a larger retail insitution as they have room to move upwards for those that do well.

Just my 2cents

PS. No matter how bad things are, some will always use banks

Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Harley has jumped the shark IMHO. The people that can buy Harleys pretty much have one. This is the first year in a long time that I've seen leftover bikes still on the dealer floor. So if the new bikes are not moving, the used bikes will drop in value.

And those dealers that would try and bend you over in the past.........well, they are gonna be hurting in the near future. I live in Chicago, so I can go to Chicago HD and get a deal. That's how I bought my '06 FXDI. They deal there. Other dealers in my area don't. One of them would not even work on my 1988 FLHS, and I bought the damn thing there brand new!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

The term DEAL can be defined in some many ways..for me this is how I look at it ??

if they deal, does that mean someone paid a lower price than what I would of paid ???? Probably, so did I pay to much when compared to the other guy ? Why should he pay less just because he has bought a few in the past years.

However, for the dealers that sell all bikes at the same price....everyone is treated the same...if they have great service...then that is where the value comes in.

Just something to think about

Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,999 Likes on 2,097 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Hey mud, we were writing a response at the same time and came up with the same assesment.

Great minds think alike and apparently have similar great taste in bikes.

Nice Bob!
Thanx for the compliment shiner. Nice machine yours as well.

Mine is a SuperGlide. WideGlide Bars. LowRider seat. Changes daily.

Don't know about that great minds thing though, I lost mine.

prices going down??

Yeah, saturation, greed. Those Ford guys should put an ap at HD. Production seems to be way up.

In 1967 HD sold less then 5000 Sportsters for around $1600.
So today they are about 5 times that in price.
In 2007 they will probably sell more than 5000 in Texas alone.

Gas was about $.24. I was making exactly $2.12 per hour

So today gas is ten times the cost, but I am bringing in 30-50 times per hour.

Two problems I see, greed and politeness.

Too much of each.

Beagle1/Ron - Detroit will go the way of Massachusetts, no more shoe factories.

Why?? greed and politeness.

I think a lot faster than I type, so that is it.

mud

edited to size the image down

Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Beagle1

Man, where are all you guys at? I want to live there.

The economy in Michigan is THE WORST in the nation. We lead in unemployment and falling house values, plus the amont of homes being repossed is our new #1 claim to fame.

Personally, our household income is down 50% from 5 years ago! My wife will be down 60% this year alone and will be unemployed in about 3 weeks. FoMoCo is sucking, and it is hitting us hard. We have sold all our toys and trailers except for the bike. May be leaving the state with the rest of the smart ones. I keep hearing the economy is so great...but in this state it isn't. At least with the WWW you know that it's not the whole country, like in the 80's when you couldn't see what was happening elsewhere with the click of a mouse.

Anyhow, the bike values. Yeah, I noticed looking in Cycle Trader and on fleabay that HD used prices aren't what they used to be. But MoCo builds alot more bikes now, you don't have to wait 18 months to HOPEFULLY get the bike you want. You don't have to wait in line at a dealer to draw a lottery for the OK to leave a deposit like in the mid 90's.

Now there are 2006 bikes left all over that can be had at up to $3000 UNDER MSRP. Sorta makes it hard to move a used scoot I would think.

Hey Beagle, you work at a plant? I was at the Edison Assembly but just changed careers when it closed. My Brother in law went to Twin Cities and they are closing now too.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:06 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i got my 07 FXDI , i test rode a 05 FXD it was more than the new one!

Quick Reply: prices going down