Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 09:00 PM
bob130ab
6th Gear
Default Sportster vrs Dyna

I'll address this from an old man's prospective. Motocycle weight, I'm 74 years old & bought a 2009 Super Glide in December after riding a 1973
R 750/5 BMW for 36 years. The Super Glide is too heavy for me and when I am stopped if I let it lean a little to put the kickstand down I almost drop it.
After I make a few long distance trips & after Daytona next year, I may sell It & buy me a late model Sportster or update my BMW with better brakes & a Mustang seat.

Bob Martin

Old 05-24-2011 | 09:10 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

Originally Posted by theEvilMalcore
How bout one of each?

Okay, Evil.....I will see you and raise you one

My Sportster at the old house.

Street Bob, Fatboy, Boat, Hummer and lawn mower all in the same pic

Karsten

Old 05-24-2011 | 10:01 PM
Gay Rider
Banned

A few of the bikes I used to own:-)

1994 Dyna Wide Glide

__________________________________________________ _____________

1987 FXLR Lower Rider

__________________________________________________ _____________

Just to name a few:-)

Attached Thumbnails Dyna or sportster?-fxdwg.jpg   Dyna or sportster?-fxlr.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011 | 10:35 PM
kite
Tourer

Don't be silly, 2010 fxdwg ftw...

Old 05-24-2011 | 11:35 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Malcor thinks like I do. LOL

Old 05-24-2011 | 11:47 PM
Gay Rider
Banned

You can't just own one!

Old 05-25-2011 | 12:05 AM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer

if you shop around and know how to deal, then a dyna is well within your budget of 10K. There are plenty of people out there over pricing their bikes they bought and stored for two years because they were "to busy" to ride. Also the pre 06 dyna models are not actually much smaller than the new ones but feel like they are. I looked forever for a certain 01-03 dyna model and came across an 08 street bob for a price I could not pass up. Was not my first choice when looking for a new bike but I have really enjoyed getting to know it and the extra $$$ in my pocket. Having only ever had a rigid shovel head prior to the dyna I cannot comment on the sportsters, allthough I think they could be a blast spliting lanes and the back roads at 6'2" and 225 I look like a monkey screwing a football on one. Either way take your time weed out the weirdos asking 2g more than what their bike sold new for and you will find yourself a great deal. There is always somebody in need of cash more than their bike, and when their old lady is breathing down their neck its even better.

Old 05-25-2011 | 03:36 AM
Fat-Bob-Brad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Karsten
Okay, Evil.....I will see you and raise you one

My Sportster at the old house.

Street Bob, Fatboy, Boat, Hummer and lawn mower all in the same pic

Karsten

Man i love that Lawn Mower

Old 05-25-2011 | 05:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

My input.....focuses on the fact that you're 5'8"....120 lbs, and 30" inseam.
Go to the dealer and sit on several different Sportys and several different Dynas.

I didn't see your age, don't know your health/physical condition (such as a bad back or bum leg)....but those...combined with your smaller size and weight....will factor in heavily into your safety and ability to handle your bike at stopsigns/stop lights/intersections.

IMO, you want your feet flat on the ground when stopped....not tip toed. Both feet at the same time just for example. So there's your seat height guide.

Would you be able to handle a heavier Dyna at stoplights? Check the feel of it while at the dealer. Leaned over just a bit...can you still easily handle it? Will you ever ride 2-up? Adding the weight of a person on the back...to the weight of a bike..at a stoplight....say the bike leans a bit while stopped..can you still handle it?

A good friend of mine that I ride with, he has a sport bike...a Yamaha yzf600. He is also a small guy....about your height, and about 135lbs or so I'd guess. When I brought my Dyna home last fall....he sat on it.....and was blown away at how heavy the bike was, said he could never deal with that. Until he got off my bike, I was standing close to grab it in case it started going over.

I'd seriously consider a Sporty Low. Do yourself a favor and sit on a few of each. Because IMO, the ability to be able to handle your bike is a prime factor in the safety and longtime enjoyment of your bike. I do not think you will outgrow a Sporty.

I believe Dynas started efi standard from the factory in '06.

Old 05-25-2011 | 05:46 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

i had a nightster until about 2 month ago , if you go with a sportster get the 1200 , its a better all round package , gives you more options and because of the extra torque and gearing is a nicer bike to ride in general , because your are only a small guy , you may well find the 883 plenty for now , but you will soon get used to it and want a little more .
Ive just moved up to a Dyna fat bob , and its a million miles above any sportster Ive ridden , i personally think its worth the extra money because I'm so much happier when riding it , street bobs are just as good and a bit cheaper , and to be totally honest they are probably the perfect Harley Davidson , they have an nice easy riding position , the same great 1584 cc engine as all the big twins apart from the baggers , theres a million out there so spares are never going to be an issue if your buying second hand , and everyone makes loads of after market stuff for them , so you will never get bored with the bike , you,ll just change it a bit . so its pretty much the only bike you will ever need .
sorry if this pisses off the sportster owners , but they are what they are , and not really suitable as main transport , the Dyna's are a much better all round machine ,a good commuter ,a reasonable tourer , and pop down the bar kinda bike as well , and they give better MPG than a sportster , because of the 6 speed tranny .
i live in the u.k we get pretty cold weather and Ive never had a problem or heard of any problems with the EFI models , keep the battery charged with a tender and they start on the button every time , even after a couple of months or sub zero conditions , hope this helps

Last edited by MADDOG187; 05-25-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyna or sportster?