Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:01 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

On a 1200 Sportster with the 3.3 gallon tank, you're going to be fueling up about every 150miles or so. With the Dyna, around 200. Not a huge difference but there is a difference.

As for starting, like I said I don't know which part of So Cal you're in. Starting a bike here in Temecula in winter is no big deal carbed or not but if you're up in Big Bear it's going to be a different story. If you're up that high where it actually snows then yes, an EFI bike is a better choice.

Stock, the Dyna will do better on long trips and the Sportster will probably be a bit more fun in the mountains.

With Sportsters, their rocker box gaskets are notorious for leaking if they don't have the newest gaskets installed from the MoCo. Dynas, I don't know but I do know some of the older models have their issues too. If they have an aftermarket air cleaner on them, and the mounting bracket doesn't route the breather lines into the air flow going into the engine, chances are they will "leak oil". However this is by design with that kind of external breather system. Stock it shouldn't be an issue.

For your price any used Sportster should be in your range and many Low to mid end Dynas. Coice is yours.

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:12 PM
cycle dud 2011
|
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply. I live close to Cooks Corner in Lake Forest. Looks like I don't have to get a 07. I still need to go to the dealer to try out the 883 and the 1200 but overall looks like the year of the bike won't make a huge difference. I'm not planning on going in the snow. Black ice doesn't sound like fun.

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:27 PM
CMC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cycle dud 2011
Thanks for the reply. I live close to Cooks Corner in Lake Forest. Looks like I don't have to get a 07. I still need to go to the dealer to try out the 883 and the 1200 but overall looks like the year of the bike won't make a huge difference. I'm not planning on going in the snow. Black ice doesn't sound like fun.
Don't bother with the 883. There are always lots of really nice 1200's on craigslist locally. I bought this one for $5k

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christophercullen/4424270218/http://www.flickr.com/photos/christophercullen/4424270218/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/christophercullen/, on Flickr

And sold it a few years later for $5,500. It was an 04 with about 10k miles on it. Ran like a champ, quick as hell too.

Also, the guys at Fullerton HD are way cooler about test rides than OCHD. I ended up buying my new FXDF from Fullerton, even tho I live in Aliso, because the Fullerton guys are much more pleasant, low key and low pressure than the OCHD guys. So, if you want a test ride, hit up Fully.

Good luck!

Last edited by CMC; 05-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 04:35 PM
Jllyfsh
Tourer

Yeah, like what the other guy said above. Save money now and get the DYNA. I live in So Cal too (San Diego) and got a DYNA Wide Glide. Ride it to work everyday (about 25 mi round trip).

Im a small dood too. 5'6" 150 lbs. You will have no problem with the reach for the controls or reaching to the ground.

Im a little bit on my tip toes standing and reaching for the controls. Harley has seats that will bring you closer to the controls as well as lower to the ground. I dont like them. Not enough room in the crotch area. If height is the issue, just get some drop springs to lower your bike. This way you get the nice look of lowering the rear and you dont have an uncomfortable seat.

I would definately go with the DYNA. If its an 883 sportster you may grow out of it quickly. I grew out of a 750cc in 3 months.

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:40 PM
CMC
Road Captain

Here's an 08 FDXB for $10k, looks really nice:

Check it.

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:41 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

There are only a few reasons to choose an 883 over a 1200....

Cost: 883s run cheaper but with your $10K budget it shouldn't matter. 1200s are well under the $10K mark.

Upgrading: If you want to upgrade to a 1250 it may be better to start with an 883. You can, after all, use the money you save getting the 883 to buy the 1250 kit and do some headwork.

Inusrance: Insurance is usually determined by engine displacement. An 883 will be cheaper to insure than a 1200. If you do the upgrade as mentioned above, the bike can still be insured as an 883.

Acceleration: Again, if you're upgrading an 883 to a 1200, you can keep the 883 stock gearing and get better acceleration out of the converted bike. However, freeway speeds will generate higher RPMs and that can be annoying for some.

Believe it or not my 1200 conversion got better gas milage after the conversion than when it was an 883 so better gas milage is NOT a benefit to getting an 883 over a 1200. Also, with 2-up riding you will appreciate the 1200 more.

If the above conditions do not apply to you or are not important for you and you decide to go Sportster then I'd definately recommend the 1200.

Also, can you turn a wrench? This makes a big difference too. For instance, this was my 1999 Sportster when I got it in 2009 for $2,500:

It had small dents in the tank, nicks in the paint on the fender, was missing all it's turn signals, no mirrors, no front fender, tires dry-rotted but only had 4,400 miles on it. I did a 150 rear tire conversion on it, cut the rear fender myself, put on turn signals, mirrors and a new front fender (seen in the above photo), did a 1200 conversion on it with 1200S heads and 10.6:1 compression, upgraded cams, upgraded ignition, powdercoated the wheels when I put new tires on it, did all the body work, had a buddy paint it, painted the cam, pulley and primary covers, Road King shocks, custom dual headlights, new A/C and a few other things that I can't remember right now all for about another $3,000. For $5,500 I had this.

So, whether you go Dyna or Sportster, keep in mind that if you can turn a wrench, you can always get something that may be a little "rougher" like mine was and then transform it into THE bike that YOU want and do it for about the same price as it would cost you to buy the same bike in near new condition to begin with. It just takes a lot more work on your part to search out the deals.

Last edited by Robotech; 05-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 06:28 PM
cycle dud 2011
|
2nd Gear

With the right tools, good instructions in English, and patience, yes I can work on a motorcycle. I don't enjoy troubleshooting or repairing. But realistically, I'd rather ride and have fun then upgrade the bike too many times.

Old 05-24-2011 | 07:00 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

I would think for $10,000you could pick up a nice late model Dyna and not need to upgrade later to a Big Twin.

Note, I am not putting the Sportster down...I own one and a great, fun little bike for short hops and what not.

I also have a 06 SB I picked up for $8000.00 and dumped a bundle of money into the motor and mods. It is a lot more comfortable for longer rides in my opinion than a Sportster.

I should think you could find an 06 SB with low miles cheap...Just run the Vin # to make sure it was a late model so as to avoid the IPB issues (IPB Issues were corrected sometime Mid 06 model run)

07 and later SB came with the 96 Inch motor and I would think still within your 10K price range.

You might be surprised if you start shopping around at how many bikes are out there still under warranty or with super low miles that people NEED to sell.

Karsten

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:42 PM
DonN
Road Warrior

One benefit of the sporty is that its easier to split traffic on the Cali freeways. Dynas are a bit wider and not as agile when going slow. Downside is range if you have the peanut tank. If you make the Laughlin run, make sure and top up when and wherever you can.

You will have no problem with cold starts in OC. It gets down to what, 50f in the winter?

Test ride both and decide. I had a 883L and moved on to the FXDC, but I am a bit heavier than you at 200lbs (5'8")

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:59 PM
Gay Rider
Banned

How bout one of each?

Attached Thumbnails Dyna or sportster?-indagarage.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dyna or sportster?