Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Backfire??? 2011 Super Glide. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011 | 06:26 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser
Default UPDATED: Intake Backfire??? 2011 Super Glide. Please Help.

I have a 2011 Super Glide Custom that I have installed a V & H Big Shots staggered on as well as a Heavy Breathers and PC V. I installed the pipes first and it ran excellent. I installed the Heavy Breather and PC V and now when idling it develops as "hiccup" and sometimes (when cold) will die after a hiccup. It sounds like air coming backout through the intake (maybe an intake backfire??).

I had FuelMoto do a custom map and I still have the issue. I an new to all of this and am totally confused.

I am worried I will damage the engine if I continue allowing this to occur.

Any advice would be great. The stealership wants $92 an hour to diasnose and $400 to dyna and custom map it.

P.S. I installed everything myself and checked for an exhaust leak (Using smoke from a cigar) and could not find any exhause leaks.

Last edited by jenkinskc; 05-24-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2011 | 06:38 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

I would guess that the fuel management system is the cause. Contact Power Commander and have them help you diagnose it.

Old 05-23-2011 | 06:45 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

I have talked to Dynojet and they say its not the PC V. It still occurs when I run a "zero map" essentially the stock ECM configuration. I am totally stumped.

Old 05-23-2011 | 07:37 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine is doing the same thing sort of. Mine only coughs through the intake when it's cold. If it's hot outside or the bike is already warm it fires right up. Once it's running it's good to go, never had it stall after being started. Go to the powercommander website with your computer plugged into your bike and go to support and then remote desktop log in. A chat box will come up and once a tech shows up tell him what's up and he'll get on it. He got rid of my decel popping and the warm start coughs, but I haven't logged back on yet to take care of the cold start cough yet. If it didn't do it before the PCV it's the PCV. I'm sure the intake wouldn't make it do that. You can try pulling the PCV also and see how it starts. You aren't going to ruin anything.

Last edited by JaronB; 05-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2011 | 07:45 PM
DonN
Road Warrior

I had a same problem. It took some time on the Dyno to tune it out. A canned map is good 99% of the time, but maybe your falling into the 1%.

Old 05-23-2011 | 07:52 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. I will try and do the remote login tomorrow and see if they can help. I appreciate everyone's input and direction. I just want to make sure running it like that is not going to f'up the motor or something.

Again, many thanks.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:06 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Try warming the bike up . Impatience is a Killer

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:10 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

The problem is occuring during the warm up, if I don't goose the throttle every now and again during warm up it will make that noise and usually die (not always). I have a few calls into Indy's that due dyno work and hopefully they will be cheaper than the $400-$500 the local Harley shop wants.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:19 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Check all your wiring, including battery cables at both ends.
I had a similar problem after I installed my Dakota Digital unit, turned out it was the speed sensor wire, without it the ECM does not have the baseline to tune from.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:22 PM
saw*me
Tourer

OOOOH My Bad.
A tune sounds right but a good one is a must. A Dyno is not always the answer as much as it is someone that knows what to look for . Good luck.

Quick Reply: Intake Backfire??? 2011 Super Glide. Please Help.