Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Backfire??? 2011 Super Glide. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:37 PM
CobraEd
Tourer

sounds like an air leak somewhere in the intake. throttle body mounting mounting, intake manifold, gaskets, vacume hoses, etc.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:59 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

I took the heavy breather off and put it back together and still the same issue arising. I tried identifying a leak using WD40 and could not find one using that method. Any other ways to locate an intake leak?

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:17 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser

I thought all you guys love the Power commander? Whats wrong?

Kidding. It's obviously a lean condition if it happens only when cold. All of you guys have the same tune (fuel moto)? The problem with some tunes is that they ARE done on the dyno. Great, it makes good HP. Well did they check the map when the engine is 50 degrees at sea level which is a lean condition maker? Not sure how the PC5 works but its lap top tune only right? One plus to the Fuelpak is you can adjust it with the push of a button no tools needed. If you all have the same problem I would ditch the wiring as the issue. What are the chances of that right. Time to check the a/f ratio when cold. If you start the bike cold and give the throttle a quick "blip" you are introducing instant air to the engine which will throw the a/f ratio off causing a stall or pop. The reason for an excellerator pump on carborated engines. Fuel injected maps need to be a little extra rich on the bottom end to combat this it seems. Bottom line, I'm willing to bet your map is lean the first 25% of throttle.When the bike is still cold stay on one gear to 3500 or so rpm and let the throttle go. Does it pop on decel? If so its lean.

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:24 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pete62conv
I thought all you guys love the Power commander? Whats wrong?

Kidding. It's obviously a lean condition if it happens only when cold. All of you guys have the same tune (fuel moto)? The problem with some tunes is that they ARE done on the dyno. Great, it makes good HP. Well did they check the map when the engine is 50 degrees at sea level which is a lean condition maker? Not sure how the PC5 works but its lap top tune only right? One plus to the Fuelpak is you can adjust it with the push of a button no tools needed. If you all have the same problem I would ditch the wiring as the issue. What are the chances of that right. Time to check the a/f ratio when cold. If you start the bike cold and give the throttle a quick "blip" you are introducing instant air to the engine which will throw the a/f ratio off causing a stall or pop. The reason for an excellerator pump on carborated engines. Fuel injected maps need to be a little extra rich on the bottom end to combat this it seems. Bottom line, I'm willing to bet your map is lean the first 25% of throttle.When the bike is still cold stay on one gear to 3500 or so rpm and let the throttle go. Does it pop on decel? If so its lean.
Yeah, I got the same advice, didn't help though.
I would not rule anything out until you find the cure.

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:17 AM
reded
Road Captain

My '07 did that BS all the time, especially on start up whether hot or cold. The worst time is when it does it as I'm leaving a stop sign and turning onto another street. $hit gets interesting real quick when you're relying on the bike to pull you through the turn and it coughs. Mine had been tuned with a TTS and it was still as bad as ever. I checked for intake leaks, tried to richen it up at lower throttle settings, the whole nine yards to no avail. Last winter I tore all the EFI off and replaced it with a Mikuni carburetor. FIXED!

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:11 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

Update.

I put the old air cleaner back on with the PC V still on and problem persisted so obviously not the air cleaner. **I did find when i removed the two chrome plugs with the breather bolts that a frothy fuel smelling mixture was there, not much but a little. What could that be?**

I then took off the PC V and replaced with the new air cleaner and still got the issue??? WTF? (That said I did forget to plug the O2 sensors back in).

Got online with Dynojet and he backdated the firmware and tweeked things a little and the problem still persists.

I am at a total friggin' loss here. No signs of an exhaust leak, or anything like that so what the hell is it? Looks like an expensive trip to the stealership is in order.

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:21 PM
reded
Road Captain

Wouldn't a 2011 still be under warranty?

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:25 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

I think that your bike is fine. You dont need a tuner with just a pipe and ac change. I would check the exhaust gaskets for leaks if you really think that there is a problem but if they are not leaking then you are fine. Use the propane method because its the best and it only takes a few seconds.

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:27 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

Thegrant, enlighten me on the "propane method", I don't know about that.

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:28 PM
jenkinskc
|
Cruiser

reded, yes it's under warranty but they are not going to cover looking at something that I installed myself. Dealerships suck! They are going to say its related to customer installed parts and they are gonna charge me $92 an hour to look at it.

Quick Reply: Intake Backfire??? 2011 Super Glide. Please Help.