Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 street bob starts very hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011 | 11:54 AM
metal_ct
|
Stage I
Angry 2007 street bob starts very hard

have a 2007 street bob once i start it a few times out riding and it gets hot it starts hard sounds like metal on metal had to replace pinon gear and ring gear beause they got chewed up shop replaced starter clutch saying it was the cause i put new battery and always charge now having the problem all over again. looking in my replair manual lists many things it could be and i dont wanna replace everything and dont want gears getting chewed up again thanks for any help.

Old 05-23-2011 | 07:33 PM
AmericanHEMI
Stage IV

I just bought a 2008 Bob with 5k on her and it starts hard with similiar noise when it gets hot.

Old 05-23-2011 | 07:51 PM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

I have an 08. Same problem. I went so far as to upgrade my TTS tuner and bought the program and new cables so I can tweek the starting fuel mixture. I've been told that when it gets hot it needs more fuel so I'm slowly messin with it as the shitty weather and the ol lady lets me use the laptop. Here is what I have learned! When you go to start it when its hot, roll the throttle several times before you start it then crack the throttle just a little as your starting it and it will fire right up. Its a temporary fix and not really a fix at all but it works!

Last edited by 8blkfxdb; 06-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2011 | 05:00 AM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

Bump

Old 05-29-2011 | 06:31 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

That's sucks man. First time i'm hearing of this problem.

Old 05-29-2011 | 07:01 AM
coiledup
Tourer

Mine was doing that, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced my starter and and clutch pack with my ring gear, and that pretty much cured the problem. They told me my ring gear had some chipped teeth. Haven't had any more problems since. Mine would not start hot at all. Now it's fine.

Old 05-29-2011 | 08:21 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

crappy stock compensator

Old 05-29-2011 | 03:33 PM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser

i noticed today that when i went to start mine after turning it off in the kfc drive thru so i could order, it wouldnt crank either. flipped the ignition switch and on/off switch back and forth and it finally hit. the fuel pump would prime but nothin when i hit the start button. i also have noticed when cold it backfires on the first lick when i crank it. sounds like a shotgun going off. scared the hell out of a lady sitting on a bench beside me. any ideas?

Last edited by Psycho Steve; 05-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2011 | 11:19 PM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

Originally Posted by coiledup
Mine was doing that, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced my starter and and clutch pack with my ring gear, and that pretty much cured the problem. They told me my ring gear had some chipped teeth. Haven't had any more problems since. Mine would not start hot at all. Now it's fine.

Hmm, that's weird. I have heard of that on cars. I had a 77 Nova that did that when it was hot and I replaced the starter and it was fine after that. But it makes no since that I can roll the throttle to squirt some extra fuel in and it starts right up. My mechanic told me its either loose battery cables/weak battery or not enough fuel during cranking. I guess a weak starter could do the same so it sounds like TWO distinct problems we have. Either weak electrical components OR not enough cranking fuel...

Last edited by 8blkfxdb; 06-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 | 05:34 PM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

Okay so the other night I had a chance to modify my cranking fuel table in the TTS Master Tune program. I adjusted the amount of fuel it gets while starting, I finally got it up there high enough to where today while I was out and about, and had to hot start a few times, it fired right up. EVERY Time!
I could probably tweek it just a bit more. I'm not completly satisfied with the way it started but it didn't try to puke the starter out so thats good news. I'm getting closer.

My theory, not enough fuel during a hot start causes a mis-fire which is just enough to kick back against the starter. Over time that will cause all of the above problems.. Chipped starter teeth and ring gears and the like... Also, over time starters get weak and lose torque so a good fresh one may certainly fix the problem.

As I said before, a good way to test any of this is to check your battery cables for tightness. Make sure you have a good battery. Roll that throttle a few times before starting to get whatever extra fuel you can then crack the throttle a bit while starting. If this makes it better then you've got fuel problems, if it does nothing then invest in electrical...

This is what I have, if your old tuner looks like this chances are you can upgrade and get the software for a couple hundred.

http://www.mastertune.net/

Attached Thumbnails 2007 street bob starts very hard-ttstuner.jpg  

Last edited by 8blkfxdb; 06-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 street bob starts very hard